Dec 30, 2007
On cyclingnews

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/200...h.php?id=/tech/2008/features/wevelgem_tech108

I guess I get 7800(10s) altho 10 cogs not much better than....
And I guess I get the outboard bearing crank(Ocatstink)

But all this to-doo about hidden cable housing. Ders not compatible with 7800, I just don't see a huge improvement of 7900 over 7800. Seems like change for change sake rather than something really revolutionary or problem solving. 7410-7700-7800 made some sense but 7900 doesn't to me. It would be nice to see a BB with adjustment ala XTR but the rest.....?

It would appear to be just hidden cables. Yeah its more about improving than revolutionising (that what eDA is for!)

The new crank hasn't been seen out yet. As you said likely to be like XTR. An integrated BB has been seen though.

Weight is said to have been reduced, The RD already showing the use of a lot of carbon.

The ergonomics are clearly being refined too.

No word on ceramics yet!

Yup. After years of pooh poohing it, Shimano sees the light, reduces weight using CF and introduces the earth-shattering innovation of hidden cables! :rolleyes:

Powerful Pete said:
Yup. After years of pooh poohing it, Shimano sees the light, reduces weight using CF and introduces the earth-shattering innovation of hidden cables! :rolleyes:
You really are a campagnola fan aren't you.

I ride Shimano and i'm proud of it. :D
(Not really, it just came with the bike)

coneofsilence said:

Gotta say I'm not a fan of shimano Corp. Their gorilla in the room policies that drive 'standards' just makes riding more expensive. 7900 with unique to those shifters derailleurs is an example. shimano does tha same as others, albeit a little differently. Components are the consumables of the bicycle, the frame and fork being the real heart.

Remember that the bike should disappear during your ride, it's just there to get you there. Which shifters you use, as long as they work, means little, IMO BUT 7900 does seem like change for change sake. 7900 is akin to if Campagnolo or Sram made 'Red' shifters but made them incompatible with their present ders.

coneofsilence said:

Indeed. I am a Campagnolo fan. :D