7sp rear der on 9sp?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I am moving my dedicated trainer bike to 9sp...
>
>shouldn't the 7sp rear der work ok with 9sp downtube shifters? the
>cassette and shifters are new 9sp, the rear der is 105 7sp.

If the derailleur is an index derailleur, no problem.
---------------
Alex

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> With the proper flatbar road FDfrom shimano, it will work fine with any
> crankset. NOT a STI road FD and NOT a MTB FD.

No, your smugness, it will not. Flatbar front shifter + proper front
mech=3 gears with some sort of rubbing, and one that should never be
used. This is with the front cage adjusted perfectly for height and and
angle. My neighbor's kit does the same thing. It's a Shimano design
flaw.

landotter wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>> With the proper flatbar road FDfrom shimano, it will work fine with
>> any crankset. NOT a STI road FD and NOT a MTB FD.

> No, your smugness, it will not. Flatbar front shifter + proper front
> mech=3 gears with some sort of rubbing, and one that should never be
> used. This is with the front cage adjusted perfectly for height and
> and angle. My neighbor's kit does the same thing. It's a Shimano
> design flaw.

Someone pass the popcorn; this should be good.

Crunch S.

Sorni wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> >
> >> With the proper flatbar road FDfrom shimano, it will work fine with
> >> any crankset. NOT a STI road FD and NOT a MTB FD.

> > No, your smugness, it will not. Flatbar front shifter + proper front
> > mech=3 gears with some sort of rubbing, and one that should never be
> > used. This is with the front cage adjusted perfectly for height and
> > and angle. My neighbor's kit does the same thing. It's a Shimano
> > design flaw.

> Someone pass the popcorn; this should be good.

My derailleur will play the part of Terry Shiavo, and Q.P.Campy will
make an even bigger stretch, taking on the role of Bill Frist, a.k.a.
"Skeletor", my senator and video-diagnosing svengali.

landotter wrote:
> No, your smugness, it will not. Flatbar front shifter + proper front
> mech=3 gears with some sort of rubbing, and one that should never be
> used. This is with the front cage adjusted perfectly for height and and
> angle. My neighbor's kit does the same thing. It's a Shimano design
> flaw.

We've had Peter's experience. Not that I'm advocating
front-click,(Centaur FB system is superior) but a Shimano FB
front shifter with Shimano FB FDer should shift reasonably
well when new. Wire on the proper side of the anchor? It
should pass on the inside of the bolt, not the outside.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org