7sp RSX upgrade to 9sp (105 or Ultegra)

XTRACKDOG

Apr 15, 2005
Hi,

I've failed in my search to find an answer.

I have an old Cannondale R500 with 7sp with triple all RSX.

To upgrade to a 9sp, I know I will need new:
Shifters
Rear Deraileur
Cassete
Chain

Question is can I keep the old Triple crankset and front deraileur?

Grateful for any input.

M

XTRACKDOG said:
Hi,

Shifters
Rear Deraileur
Cassete
Chain

Grateful for any input.

M
What are you going to do for a rer hub to stick that 9 speed cassette on? You don't really need a RD. You aslo need to make sure the rear dropout spacing is at lest the compromise 128,used on many later 7 speeds,in order to take the wider 130 8/9/10 speed hub. The front stuff is ok.

You will need a new freehub body(which can sometimes retrofit to your old hub if it is shimano). The crankset should be alright. Ideally speaking, the rings are a minute bit farther apart on the 7-spd design than the 9-spd. Practically speaking they usually work.
Shifters and cassette go virtually without saying. The chain is a must. Do not go with a shimano chain if you can help it. The Sram chains are more reliable and they have a quick-release link that allows for much easier maintenance.

Conniebiker said:
Do not go with a shimano chain if you can help it. The Sram chains are more reliable and they have a quick-release link
Where do you dredge up this nonsense? I can go with a compromise of shimano 9 chain and sram 9 link. Sram shains are ok too.

Thanks for the reply.

Will be also upgrading the wheelset. If I understand correctly, the biggest stumbling block now is the spacing of the dropout. Everything else can be bought.

boudreaux said:
What are you going to do for a rer hub to stick that 9 speed cassette on? You don't really need a RD. You aslo need to make sure the rear dropout spacing is at lest the compromise 128,used on many later 7 speeds,in order to take the wider 130 8/9/10 speed hub. The front stuff is ok.

That's an aluminum frame so you can't spread the dropouts without damaging them. If it is the traditional 126mm dropout forget it, you'd damage the frame spreading it for a 9.

XTRACKDOG said:
Hi,

Shifters
Rear Deraileur
Cassete
Chain

Grateful for any input.

M
http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
Using 9 speed spacing with 8 of 9 cogs from a 9 speed cassette can work if you are stuck with 126 mm spacing.
You would then only need a need chain, shifters, and cassette. You don't need to replace derailers.