7th Annual LBI Unithon

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by JJuggle, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    This is no way to announce this and against my better judgement I can
    very very (very) tentatively say that the 7th Annual LBI Unithon on
    Long Beach Island, NJ will be held on Saturday June 4, 2005.

    At this time I am still waiting for confirmation and I can assure
    everyone that the minute I know for sure I will post this useful
    information (as opposed to the stuff I post over in JC).

    Nikkifrog welcome back. I hope to see you there - clown suit optional -
    as well as Obie and Tim who PMed me for info and anyone else who has
    been wondering and may have contacted Roe Sprouls.

    --
    JJuggle - My yin ate my yang.

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
    to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
    none
    the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
    stopped
    and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
    dropped

    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  2. shadowuni

    shadowuni Guest

    i will be there! last year was great, except for the headwind. Raphael,
    hope to see you there!

    --
    shadowuni - Crispety, crunchety, peanut-buttery

    "No one is taller than the last man standing"
    My Give-A-Damn's Busted
    "Bullets! My only weakness! How did you know?" - Cop
    "Imagine what you'll know tomorrow" - Agent K, M.I.B.
    shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

  3. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    shadowuni wrote:
    > *i will be there! last year was great, except for the headwind.
    > Raphael, hope to see you there! *

    Headwind, what headwind? All I remember is the wicked sidewind gusts
    alternating with no wind when the houses blocked it - that and the fact
    that it was great fun, even though I couldn't fly my kites because there
    was too much wind.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  4. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    I'm hoping....

    --
    U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  5. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    The 7th Annual LBI Unithon will be held on *Saturday, June 11, 2005*,
    not the 4th. All information is available at:

    http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon

    Please note a major change. I will be handling the entry forms. My
    contact information is on the site and my address is available on the
    entry forms at the site. Roe Sprouls will be getting the T-shirts made
    this year and handling some other aspects, but not entries. As we're
    getting this going rather late this year, please get your entry forms to
    me as soon as you can. Thanks!

    Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

    --
    JJuggle - Charlie! They took my thumb!

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
    to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
    none
    the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
    stopped
    and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
    dropped

    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  6. I should be able to make it. Not sure what I'll ride though. I may get a
    cheap 29er or something just for this. Trouble is, if I get a cheap
    29er, I will end up putting like $400 in upgrades on it.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - SWAT

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
    'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
    'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

    \"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

    \"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
    mental

    *disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
    are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
    feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
    everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

  7. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    TheObieOne3226 wrote:
    > *if I get a cheap 29er, I will end up putting like $400 in upgrades on
    > it. *

    Worth it if you ask me. bump

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
    to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
    none
    the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
    stopped
    and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
    dropped

    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  8. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    I think I neglected to mention...oh, no I did mention that already. :)
    bump

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
    to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
    none
    the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
    stopped
    and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
    dropped

    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  9. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

    If I were within a day's drive, I would definitely be there. And I would
    buy you a beer.

    bump

    --
    Jethro - Monk

    -Originally posted by chosen-
    *jethro is a wierd, old, probably hairy, man who needs a reality check.*

    Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413

  10. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    Jethro wrote:
    > *If I were within a day's drive, I would definitely be there. And I
    > would buy you a beer.
    >
    > bump *

    You are within a days drive, with 3 hours, 42 minutes to spare. :D

    Start: Start Point (minneapolis, MN)
    End: End Point (holgate, NJ)
    Totals: 1254.9 miles, 20 hours 18 min, 29 turns (Fastest Route)

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
    to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
    none
    the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
    stopped
    and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
    dropped

    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  11. Jethro

    Jethro Guest

    JJuggle wrote:
    > *You are within a days drive, with 3 hours, 42 minutes to spare. :D
    >
    > Start: Start Point (minneapolis, MN)
    > End: End Point (holgate, NJ)
    > Totals: 1254.9 miles, 20 hours 18 min, 29 turns (Fastest Route) *

    And you call me a spin doctor?

    --
    Jethro - Monk

    -Originally posted by chosen-
    *jethro is a wierd, old, probably hairy, man who needs a reality check.*

    Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413

  12. unicyclepa

    unicyclepa Guest

  13. nikkifrog

    nikkifrog Guest

    I plan to attend again this year! Not sure about walking up all those
    steps in the lighthouse after riding 19 miles on a unicycle, though.
    :rolleyes:

    I even just got a good deal on a camelbak mule at Dick's, so I will be
    good to go!

    Oh, and my mom got one of the 28-inch pennyfarthings for Christmas, so
    she said she may join us for part of the ride. She doesn't think she
    can make it all 19 miles. I'll have to make her increase the level on
    the bike at the gym to get her in shape. ;)

    Hope to see everyone again!

    Nikki

    --
    nikkifrog - Officially Level 2! :)

    "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in
    God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"
    Psalm 56:3-4
    nikkifrog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/425

  14. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    unicyclepa wrote:
    > *will there be aney trials rideing afterwords *

    After the ride we normally gather somewhere for some food and hanging
    out. The details of the where are still being worked out.

    No other riding is organized for after the Unithon, but people bring all
    kinds of unis and depending on where we are other riding is absolutely
    cool.Jethro wrote:
    > *And you call me a spin doctor? *

    I still want that beer.> -Originally posted by Nikkifrog-
    > *Oh, and my mom got one of the 28-inch pennyfarthings for Christmas,
    > so she said she may join us for part of the ride. She doesn't think
    > she can make it all 19 miles. I'll have to make her increase the level
    > on the bike at the gym to get her in shape.
    >
    > Hope to see everyone again! *

    Tell your mom I got dibs on trying out the penny farthering. Look
    forward to seeing you again.

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
    to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
    none
    the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
    stopped
    and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
    dropped

    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  15. shadowuni

    shadowuni Guest

    can it be a sort of race if we want it to be? i wanna have a personal
    race with a couple people. i wish mackenzie would come....

    --
    shadowuni - Crispety, crunchety, peanut-buttery

    "No one is taller than the last man standing"
    My Give-A-Damn's Busted
    "Bullets! My only weakness! How did you know?" - Cop
    (I <3 Coker) "Maybe it means I have less than three cokers" - Klaas
    Bil
    "I think it means I AM less than three cokers" - Daino149
    shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

  16. David_Stone

    David_Stone Guest

    shadowuni wrote:
    > *can it be a sort of race if we want it to be? i wanna have a personal
    > race with a couple people. i wish mackenzie would come.... *

    I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it this year. I've gone to two
    Unithons and found them fun. The biggest challenge was getting there
    even close to 'on time' (I can't make it the day before, so it means an
    early start for me).

    My personal style of Cokering is to ride pretty fast, so when I finished
    the ride the first time, I rode back halfway and then re-finished.
    Anyone fast interested in a longer ride could very well start at the
    finish, ride to the start, and then complete the normal course -- all in
    less than the time it takes many riders to complete the ride just
    once.

    Alternatively, I think it COULD be a race, but it's not totally safe as
    a 'race course' IMHO because there are some long stretches thru part of
    the town. When I rode the Unithon my 2nd year in it, I did decide to
    'race' against the clock, and after hanging out (fast) with my
    convalescing brother for a mile, I ditched him and rode all out,
    completing the 19 miles in about 1:15, I think. I remember that I
    averaged 15 mph the whole ride, and I believe that I got off the seat
    (but not the uni) for a few seconds at about the midway point. If I do
    manage to go this year, I'll certainly try to make it there in time to
    'race' -- but I have to stress that there is a long stretch in the
    middle where riders should be quite careful of pedestrians, motorists,
    and obstacles. Other than that, it's a nice course bc it's almost
    totally flat.

    The party at the end is always great fun, due in large part to the
    friendship of the uni'ists attending and the generosity of the Sprouls
    family and their friends who pitch in and otherwise volunteer to help.

    --
    David_Stone
    David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

  17. nikkifrog

    nikkifrog Guest

    Raphael,

    If my mom is planning on doing part of the ride on her pennyfarthing,
    does she also need to register? I suppose she probably does, just
    checking.

    Thanks :D
    Nikki

    --
    nikkifrog - Officially Level 2! :)

    "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in
    God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"
    Psalm 56:3-4
    nikkifrog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/425

  18. David Stone

    David Stone Guest

    "nikkifrog" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Raphael,
    >
    >If my mom is planning on doing part of the ride on her pennyfarthing,
    >does she also need to register? I suppose she probably does, just
    >checking.
    >
    >Thanks :D
    >Nikki

    Hey, Nikki. Yeah, she should probably register. Cool idea!

  19. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    nikkifrog wrote:
    > *If my mom is planning on doing part of the ride on her pennyfarthing,
    > does she also need to register? I suppose she probably does, just
    > checking.*

    Nikki,

    I do not believe that any two wheeled vehicles have in the past
    registered. However, for the most part people on two wheels have
    provided support, i.e. riding around making sure the unicyclists don't
    get lost, have water, and are safe from traffic.

    I'm going to make this executive pronouncement. If your mother is
    capable of providing this kind of support on a penny farthering, she
    need not register. If she does not plan to be of service in this way,
    then yes, have her register and pay the entry fee.

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
    to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
    none
    the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
    stopped
    and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
    dropped

    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  20. Tim

    Tim Guest

    shadowuni wrote:
    > *can it be a sort of race if we want it to be? i wanna have a personal
    > race with a couple people. i wish mackenzie would come.... *

    If last year was a race I beat you good.> riding around making sure the unicyclists don't get lost
    heh its hard to get lost when you can see ocean on both sides and if you
    get your end to end mixed up you can just ask which way the light house
    is.

    Oh yeah and I'm so forsure in.

    --
    Tim - Amanda's the sexiest avatar