7th Annual LBI Unithon

I am also in, and I am thinking of gearing my giraffe and doing it on
that.

--
digitalattrition - 36" Rolling Trials World Champion!

We will eat Big and his brother Huge for breakfast. We will definitely
have a solid grip on Extreme.
--Nick Dijohn

Main Men: Kevin, Tim, Dijohn, Joe, Jim, Bevan

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
http://singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
'Buy stuff from Arrow Racing!' (http://www.arrowracing.com)
digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

digitalattrition wrote:
> *I am also in, and I am thinking of gearing my giraffe and doing it on
> that. *

We had a guy ride a 20" wheel giraffe two years ago and he couldn't
freemount.

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
none
the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
stopped
and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
dropped

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Nick, totally do it on your giraffe. you will be the man. gear it to
coker size and we can cruise. super pimp style.

--
shadowuni - Crispety, crunchety, peanut-buttery

"No one is taller than the last man standing"
My Give-A-Damn's Busted
"Bullets! My only weakness! How did you know?" - Cop
(I <3 Coker) "Maybe it means I have less than three cokers" - Klaas
Bil
"I think it means I AM less than three cokers" - Daino149
shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

Wow, are the headwinds really that bad, or was the guy just really bad
at freemounting? I ask because I can rolling mount my 5 foot giraffe
very smoothly and consistently.

If I can get a really small bottom chainwheel (or if I can get a hold of
HCR on how to do it) I will definately do it.

Wasn't there threads about how to gear a giraffe in the past?

Also, if I were to complete the ride, would I be the first in the
history of LBI to do so on a giraffe?

--

digitalattrition wrote:
> *Also, if I were to complete the ride, would I be the first in the
> history of LBI to do so on a giraffe? *

Look three posts up. ;)

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
none
the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
stopped
and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
dropped

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

how much is entry fee? will there be awesome t shirts again? about how
many people are gonna attend?

--

digitalattrition wrote:
> *Wow, are the headwinds really that bad, or was the guy just really
> bad at freemounting? I ask because I can rolling mount my 5 foot
> giraffe very smoothly and consistently.
>
> If I can get a really small bottom chainwheel (or if I can get a hold
> of HCR on how to do it) I will definately do it.
>
> Wasn't there threads about how to gear a giraffe in the past?
>
> Also, if I were to complete the ride, would I be the first in the
> history of LBI to do so on a giraffe? *

I may have to be in LA at that time... but if I'm in NY, I'll definitely
do the ride! I'm not sure if I'd do it on my Coker or my geared giraffe
(it's geared to a 31" size and a 37.5" equivalent wheel size, if you
turn the wheel around) and I can freemount it on both gear ratios.

Doing a rolling mount on a geared giraffe is a lot different than doing
it on a standard giraffe, and I wouldn't risk breaking something (since
it wasn't Stockton-built) from the stress caused by that type of mount.

Though the 37.5" size is fast, the torque combined with the height of
the giraffe makes it kind of annoying to ride, especiallly if the
pavement isn't totally flat and idling is rather awkward, as well. The
31" size is quite comfortable and enjoyable to ride and still decently
fast. I'm quite sure I'd beat many 37.5" giraffe riders with my goiraffe
set to the 31" ratio (as would most other people, I believe) for this
ride, due in large part to fewer UPD's, fewer freemount attempts, and
because it's very difficult to ride the 37.5" size geared giraffe at
very fast speeds for any extended period of time unless the pavement is
perfectly flat and smooth (and even then it's still demanding).

The 31" size would be really fun to ride, though:D!

Hey Nick... if I'm in LA or decide to ride my Coker, you're welcome to
ride my geared giraffe.

--
HardcoreCokerRider - Skateparks, MTB & Urban Insanity
HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

Awesome. I'd definately like to check it out. But if you are in LA,
would you be able to stop at LBI to get your giraffe to me or something?
If you are going to be there for sure, let me know. Also, could you
PM on how you geared your giraffe so I can do it to mine and get some
practice in?

--

shadowuni wrote:
> *how much is entry fee?*

The entry fee, as posted at 'LBI Unithon'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon) on the entry form is $25.> *will there be awesome t shirts again?*
Yes.> * about how many people are gonna attend? *
As many as fill out the entry forms, write checks and put them in the
mail to me. Recent years has had the number around 20 to 30, if I recall
correctly.

Don't Delay People!!!

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

the narcotic that forges their union, is a substance known only to one
to the clown it is known as dominion, it’s a secret that he’ll give to
none
the drug which gives the clown power, means the circus can never be
stopped
and his dream can go on unhindered, ’til the last human being has
dropped

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

In case Andrew's isn't available, I may be able to have a geared giraffe
available for the Unithon. It's a 6-footer, though, if that matters.
I'd have to know what gear you were interested in too. At 1:1 it is a
20" wheel. With the hub it currently has, like Andrew's you'd probably
have to do a step-up mount. I'll know more about its availability soon.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

It would be great if I could borrow your's or Andrew's. However, I do
have one concern; training. I recently read Brian MacKenzie's thread
about training with the equipment that you will be riding with, so I
think that would be the best idea. If I am to do this, I would need to
train on a geared giraffe first. Now, I could either gear mine (which I
think I know how to do), or I could borrow either Andrew's or your's,
but I do not think either of you guys would want to let me borrow your
unicycles a month in advance of LBI. However, if so (although probably
a slight chance) let me know. If not, could you give me some tips on
gearing the giraffe Dave?

--
digitalattrition - 36" Rolling Trials World Champion!

We will eat Big and his brother Huge for breakfast. We will definitely
have a solid grip on Extreme.
--Nick Dijohn

Main Men: Kevin, Tim, Dijohn, Joe, Jim, Bevan

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
http://singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
'Buy stuff from Arrow Racing!' (http://www.arrowracing.com)
digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

> If not, could you give me some tips on gearing the giraffe Dave?

I'd be glad to, but I took a different route and have tried to redesign
from the ground up (well, nearly, anyway). The giraffe I have is an
intermediate step in that process. HCR's experience would be much more
relevant to you.

> I do not think either of you guys would want to let me borrow your
> unicycles a month in advance of LBI. However, if so (although probably
> a slight chance) let me know.

I wouldn't mind, but I have to do an axle change beforehand to correct
the chainline, and would also have to get a larger chainwheel (same
order though). So I doubt I could meet that timeline. Also, we'd have
to get the giraffe to you for training.

Additional issues: 1. this giraffe is a 6 footer, not a 5 footer. 2. the
wheel still uses a lock-ringed track hub (but now I have red loctite on
the cog), so may not be suitable for a running mount (this aspect is
untested still; hoping to do that soon).

Probably the most logical thing is for you to modify your giraffe using
HCR guidance. Then you have it there already, are used to it, and can
train on it. If I can help in that process, let me know. If that route
doesn't work out, I'm sure we can work something out with the giraffe I
have here. :)

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Ok, thanks a lot Dave. I will first try to gear my own giraffe (as well
as add an airseat, GB4 style handle, and new pedals) and I will ask you
if I need any advice on it or if I mess up horribly and ruin it. Thanks
a lot.

--

digitalattrition wrote:
> *Ok, thanks a lot Dave. I will first try to gear my own giraffe (as
> well as add an airseat, GB4 style handle, and new pedals) and I will
> ask you if I need any advice on it or if I mess up horribly and ruin
> it. Thanks a lot. *

Hopefully I'll have room in the truck to throw in the giraffe anyway
just for people to try out. May have the kid's bicycle though... (happy
happy) :)

--

U-Turn wrote:
> *In case Andrew's isn't available, I may be able to have a geared
> giraffe available for the Unithon. It's a 6-footer, though, if that
> matters. I'd have to know what gear you were interested in too. At
> 1:1 it is a 20" wheel. With the hub it currently has, like Andrew's
> you'd probably have to do a step-up mount. I'll know more about its
> availability soon. *

Did you ever make that giraffe with a profile bb?

--
TheObieOne3226 - SWAT

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
> *Did you ever make that giraffe with a profile bb? *

Yes, that's the one. It's been on hold due to finances, and due to
searching for what I would think is the ideal hub for the wheel. But
the Profile BB has been in it all along now. It is great. Ultra
smooth, a range of axle sizes, a huge range of chainwheels, symmetric
chainwheels, a floating axle for optimum chainline, a huge range of
interchangeable crank lengths, quality bearings. The strength is just a
side bonus.

--

U-Turn wrote:
> *Probably the most logical thing is for you to modify your giraffe
> using HCR guidance.*

The wheel for my geared giraffe was built for me by a local bike shop,
since I don’t have any experience or knowledge in doing that stuff on my
own… so unfortunately I don’t think my limited knowledge will be too
useful for you. All I really know is that they used a fixed-gear track
bike hub. I had them put cogs on both sides, which are removable and
replaceable using two tools. It cost me about $350 for the wheel
(including a tube and a good tire), cogs and labor.

--

HardcoreCokerRider wrote:
> *
> The wheel for my geared giraffe was built for me by a local bike shop,
> since I don’t have any experience or knowledge in doing that stuff on
> my own… so unfortunately I don’t think my limited knowledge will be
> too useful for you. All I really know is that they used a fixed-gear
> track bike hub. I had them put cogs on both sides, which are removable
> and replaceable using two tools. It cost me about $350 for the wheel
> (including a tube and a good tire), cogs and labor.
>
> *

Ahhhh ok. I definitely could do that... Did they do anything special
with the chainline? Replace the axle or anything like that? Which hub
did they use, and which rim?

--

U-Turn wrote:
> *Ahhhh ok. I definitely could do that... Did they do anything special
> with the chainline? Replace the axle or anything like that? Which
> hub did they use, and which rim? *

The only thing they did with the chain was to shorten it. The same chain
fits the wheel for the sprockets on both sides, though it's basically at
the max. distance for the shorter cog. I don't believe they replaced the
axle. Being that I often don't pay too much attention to brand names and
technical details (once the person who is doing the work convinces me
he/she is doing the job the best way it can be done, given my
needs/budget and answers any questions/concerns I may have at the
time)... I can't tell you what kind of hub or rim I have. I can try and
find out for you from the folks at the bike shop though, if you want.
The only component I remember the brand name of is the "Animal GLH" tire
(probably the least significant component, other than the tube)... only
because the name is printed on a tag on the tire itself.

--
HardcoreCokerRider - Skateparks, MTB & Urban Insanity
HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

I can see it next time we're at the same space-time coordinates, just
curious. Thanks, though, Andrew.