8/9 speed on a 1995 Hope Titanium hub?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben, May 27, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.

    I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.

    Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on rather
    than the XT the bike comes with.
    --
    ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Ben <[email protected]> typed:
    > I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
    >
    > I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
    >
    > Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on rather
    > than the XT the bike comes with.

    Phone Hope - they are very good at sorting out these sorts of things and if it the hub needs some
    mods will be able to tell you what you need to change.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:59:56 +0100, Ben did issue forth:

    > I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
    >
    > I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
    >
    > Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on rather
    > than the XT the bike comes with.

    Yup. Eight speed cassettes are the same size as nine speed, they're just spaced wider, so they'll
    fit no problem.

    Huw

  4. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > In news:[email protected], Ben <[email protected]> typed:
    > > I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
    > >
    > > I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
    > >
    > > Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on
    > > rather than the XT the bike comes with.
    >
    > Phone Hope - they are very good at sorting out these sorts of things and if it the hub needs some
    > mods will be able to tell you what you need to change.

    Worth a try. I've also just remembered that a friend of mine who runs an LBS is a Hope dealer. Will
    give him a ring tonight.
    --
    DIAABTCOD#11 BOTAFOT#75 ex-two#19 "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
    prevent life escaping from us." ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:59:56 +0100, Ben did issue forth:
    >
    > > I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
    > >
    > > I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
    > >
    > > Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on
    > > rather than the XT the bike comes with.
    >
    > Yup. Eight speed cassettes are the same size as nine speed, they're just spaced wider, so they'll
    > fit no problem.

    Perfect.

    Mind you, having just re-read the spec for the new bike apparently it comes with Hope hubs as
    standard (Orange P7 Pro). But they're black alloy ones and being an old-school fan of anodising I'd
    prefer to use my red and ti ones :)