8/9 speed on a 1995 Hope Titanium hub?

Status

Ben

Guest
I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.

I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.

Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on rather
than the XT the bike comes with.
--
******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

Tony Raven

Guest
In news:[email protected], Ben <[email protected]> typed:
> I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
>
> I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
>
> Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on rather
> than the XT the bike comes with.

Phone Hope - they are very good at sorting out these sorts of things and if it the hub needs some
mods will be able to tell you what you need to change.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Huw Pritchard

Guest
On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:59:56 +0100, Ben did issue forth:

> I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
>
> I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
>
> Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on rather
> than the XT the bike comes with.

Yup. Eight speed cassettes are the same size as nine speed, they're just spaced wider, so they'll
fit no problem.

Huw

Ben

Guest
Tony Raven wrote:
> In news:[email protected], Ben <[email protected]> typed:
> > I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
> >
> > I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
> >
> > Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on
> > rather than the XT the bike comes with.
>
> Phone Hope - they are very good at sorting out these sorts of things and if it the hub needs some
> mods will be able to tell you what you need to change.

Worth a try. I've also just remembered that a friend of mine who runs an LBS is a Hope dealer. Will
give him a ring tonight.
--
DIAABTCOD#11 BOTAFOT#75 ex-two#19 "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

Ben

Guest
Huw Pritchard wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:59:56 +0100, Ben did issue forth:
>
> > I have a rear Hope Ti hub circa 1995, currently it's running an 8 speed XT cassette on it.
> >
> > I'll shortly be getting a new bike that comes with 9 speed XT.
> >
> > Are the cassettes interchangeable? I'd ideally like to use the wheels with the Hope hubs on
> > rather than the XT the bike comes with.
>
> Yup. Eight speed cassettes are the same size as nine speed, they're just spaced wider, so they'll
> fit no problem.

Perfect.

Mind you, having just re-read the spec for the new bike apparently it comes with Hope hubs as
standard (Orange P7 Pro). But they're black alloy ones and being an old-school fan of anodising I'd
prefer to use my red and ti ones :)
--
DIAABTCOD#11 BOTAFOT#75 ex-two#19 "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." ******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

Status
Not open for further replies.