8 and 9 speed intercompatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Risto Varanka, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Wondering about mixing Shimano 8 and 9 speed parts, or mixing with stuff from 3rd parties, like
    extra large chainrings (60 teeth and more).

    Rear derailleur indexing is said to be the trickiest part when you do 8/9 mixing, but how about
    chain, sprockets and chainwheels? What if you have a crankset designed for 8 speed chain, or just a
    single chainring measured for 8 (with others for 9 speed) in an otherwise 9 speed system (chain,
    rear deraileur)? Some people claim it fits just fine, can you expect any problems because the fit
    is not perfect (too wide chainrings for the chain etc) - increased wear, chain slippage, or
    something else?

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Wondering about mixing Shimano 8 and 9 speed parts, or mixing with stuff from 3rd parties, like
    >extra large chainrings (60 teeth and more).
    >
    >Rear derailleur indexing is said to be the trickiest part when you do 8/9 mixing,

    Actually Shimano (non-Dura Ace) 8 and 9 speed rear derailleurs interchange quite well. The main
    thing you want if you wish to avoid trouble is:

    1. 9s shifters
    2. 9s chain
    3. 9s cog set

    The rest is optional.

    > but how about chain, sprockets and chainwheels? What if you have a crankset designed for 8 speed
    > chain, or just a single chainring measured for 8 (with others for 9 speed) in an otherwise 9 speed
    > system (chain, rear deraileur)?

    No problem.

    > Some people claim it fits just fine, can you expect any problems because the fit is not perfect
    > (too wide chainrings for the chain etc) - increased wear, chain slippage, or something else?

    No, nothing so awful as that. The 9s chainrings when ramped & pinned to match each other, can make
    the front shifting a little smoother. But if you don't use 9s chainrings, it will still shift quite
    adequately - front derailleurs already worked quite well before ramped rings came around.

    60-tooth chainrings do present challenges to front shifting and chain line, but that has nothing to
    do with whether they are 9s or not.

    I think a 56-tooth ring is about as big as you can go without considerable tinkering necessary to
    get good shifting, often that means taking the front derailleur to the bench grinder. Even with a
    56 there are some bikes it won't work well on due to chain line problems or braze-on front
    derailleur mounts.

    Of course if you have only one ring then it gets a lot easier, and if you have only one ring then
    the issue of ramped and pinned 9s chainrings is completely irrelevant.

    --Paul

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wondering about mixing Shimano 8 and 9 speed parts, or
    mixing with
    > stuff from 3rd parties, like extra large chainrings (60
    teeth and
    > more).
    >
    > Rear derailleur indexing is said to be the trickiest part
    when you
    > do 8/9 mixing, but how about chain, sprockets and
    chainwheels?
    > What if you have a crankset designed for 8 speed chain, or
    just a
    > single chainring measured for 8 (with others for 9 speed)
    in an
    > otherwise 9 speed system (chain, rear deraileur)? Some
    people
    > claim it fits just fine, can you expect any problems
    because the
    > fit is not perfect (too wide chainrings for the chain
    etc) -
    > increased wear, chain slippage, or something else?
    >
    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

    FWIW - my wife's bike currently has an RSX seven speed compact triple crankset and RSX dérailleurs,
    with nine speed Shimano 105 shifters and cassette, and a nine speed chain. The combination works
    really well......