8- or 9-speed front derailleur, v-brakes

Bradley P. Hummer

Guest
Is there really a difference between a (Shimano) 8- and 9-speed front
derailleur? I've started looking for a replacement derailleur for my
Shimano LX triple, and have wondered about some of the descriptions I've
seen referencing the rear cassette.

Also, what is the difference between the front and rear (Shimano) v-brake
sets? I've seen references to a "front" or "rear" brake, but don't see any
noticeable difference in my current LX v-brakes.

Bradley P. Hummer wrote:
> Is there really a difference between a (Shimano) 8- and 9-speed front
> derailleur? I've started looking for a replacement derailleur for my
> Shimano LX triple, and have wondered about some of the descriptions I've
> seen referencing the rear cassette.
>
> Also, what is the difference between the front and rear (Shimano) v-brake
> sets? I've seen references to a "front" or "rear" brake, but don't see any
> noticeable difference in my current LX v-brakes.

There probably is some minor difference, but a 7 or 8 speed one will work.

Bradley P. Hummer said:
Also, what is the difference between the front and rear (Shimano) v-brake
sets? I've seen references to a "front" or "rear" brake, but don't see any
noticeable difference in my current LX v-brakes.

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the orientation of the brake-pads (i.e. the "open" end of the cartridge is facing back).