8" Shimano rotor question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Axis, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Axis

    Axis Guest

    I have a set of 2003 deore 6" rotors disc brakes on my bike.
    I want to get 8" rotors at least on the front. I prefer the
    hayes rotors to the deore ones.

    Can I just buy an 8" kit? If so where? I haven't been able
    to locate any online. TIA

    Tags:

  2. I have been warned to only use 8 inch rotors on the front if
    the bike has a through axle.

    Don't mean to start that front tire ejection thread again.

    "Axis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nDm2c-
    [email protected]
    > I have a set of 2003 deore 6" rotors disc brakes on my
    > bike. I want to
    get
    > 8" rotors at least on the front. I prefer the hayes rotors
    > to the deore ones.
    >
    > Can I just buy an 8" kit? If so where? I haven't been able
    > to locate any online. TIA

  3. Axis

    Axis Guest

    > I have been warned to only use 8 inch rotors on the front
    > if the bike has
    > through axle.
    >
    > Don't mean to start that front tire ejection thread again.
    >
    > > I have a set of 2003 deore 6" rotors disc brakes on my
    > > bike. I want to
    > get
    > > 8" rotors at least on the front. I prefer the hayes
    > > rotors to the deore ones.
    > >
    > > Can I just buy an 8" kit? If so where? I haven't been
    > > able to locate
    any
    > > online. TIA

    Huh? Front wheel ejection! I have the standard front axle,
    should I not upgrade the rotor? Do I need a new fork and hub
    for the thru axel?

    Please advise!

  4. There has been much debate about disk brakes and quick
    release hubs. In short there have been deaths attributed to
    the force of disk break ejecting the quick release from the
    fork end...hence the name "Lawyers Taps" for the taps on the
    forks dropouts.

    Search Google and you will see numerous threads.

    Yes if you switch to through axle you will need new
    fork and hub.

    "Axis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:J0n2c.24648-
    [email protected]
    > > I have been warned to only use 8 inch rotors on the
    > > front if the bike
    has
    > > through axle.
    > >
    > > Don't mean to start that front tire ejection thread
    > > again.
    > >
    > > > I have a set of 2003 deore 6" rotors disc brakes on my
    > > > bike. I want
    > > get
    > > > 8" rotors at least on the front. I prefer the hayes
    > > > rotors to the
    deore
    > > > ones.
    > > >
    > > > Can I just buy an 8" kit? If so where? I haven't been
    > > > able to locate
    > any
    > > > online. TIA
    >
    > Huh? Front wheel ejection! I have the standard front axle,
    > should I not upgrade the rotor? Do I need a new fork and
    > hub for the thru axel?
    >
    > Please advise!

  5. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have been warned to only use 8 inch rotors on the front
    > if the bike has a through axle.
    >
    > Don't mean to start that front tire ejection thread again.

    I was using an 8" rotor with a QR on the front. It never
    caused me any problems. If you put the QR on correctly, it
    shouldn't cause problems.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  6. Axis

    Axis Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have been warned to only use 8 inch rotors on the
    > > front if the bike
    has a
    > > through axle.
    > >
    > > Don't mean to start that front tire ejection thread
    > > again.
    >
    > I was using an 8" rotor with a QR on the front. It never
    > caused me any problems. If you put the QR on correctly, it
    > shouldn't cause problems.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    OK so where can i just buyt the adapter and rotor?