8 sp to 10 sp upgrade

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sal61, Jul 7, 2003.

1. sal61

sal61 New Member

Hello,

I have an 8 speed Chorus group on my bike which I ride between 100 and 150 miles a week (no plans on racing, just club rides) what do you all think about upgrading to the 10 speed at a cost of about $550.00? The current group is basically new.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Tags:

2. pj_s

pj_s New Member

quite frankly, it seems like a waste of money to me. 550 dollars is quite a lot of money, and it will probably cost that (or maybe a little less). Unless of course you feel you're lacking in gears in your rides.

8-speed parts will probaly be sold for a couple of years to come, so I would wait at least until you really need to upgrade...(eg when you need new wheels, or when you have problems with your shifters)

On the other hand, I find I always like biking more when I have new materials. So that would definitely be a good reason to upgrade....

(good luck)

3. JohnO

JohnO New Member

I ride a 10 speed Chorus. It's nice, but if your 8 sp is in good condition, there are better things to spend $550 on. Some items I would rank higher than two more gears, and probably cost less:

A set of carbon aero wheels (used, of course)
    high end Giro helmet and Oakley M frames
    carbon aero fork
    carbon crankset
    Record titanium pedals and new shoes
    Cinelli Angel or Ram bars
    lotsa titanium nuts and bolts

I like tinkering with my bike too...