8 sp vs. 9 sp cranks

RBS

New Member
Aug 7, 2003
hi all

can an 8 speed crankset be used with a 9 sp speed cassette? i just picked up a shimano 600 crankset for a build up and my casette is 9 speed. will this work? i tried to measure the distance between the rings and as near as i can tell it's about 6 mm.

thanks all

bob

Originally posted by RBS
hi all

can an 8 speed crankset be used with a 9 sp speed cassette? i just picked up a shimano 600 crankset for a build up and my casette is 9 speed. will this work? i tried to measure the distance between the rings and as near as i can tell it's about 6 mm.

thanks all

bob

Yes, it will work. Use a 9 speed chain.
The shifts won't be as crisp, especially under load, as they would be with a 9 speed crankset.
I have compared and know that the combination you propose will work OK. You won't know how much difference it will make to you until you try them both.
Manufacturers spend a lot of time and efort to make group of "matched" components work best together. Compare and contrast the contours of the 8 speed Vs. 9 Speed chain ring teeth and pick-up ins.
There are also small differences in Front Derailer shapes and dimensions that make a difference.

<< can an 8 speed crankset be used with a 9 sp speed cassette? i just picked up a shimano 600
crankset for a build up and my casette is 9 speed. will this work? i tried to measure the distance
between the rings and as near as i can tell it's about 6 mm. >>

More to the point, can you use a 9 sp chain with 8 sp crankset and front derailleur? The answer is
yes-I do it (Dura Ace). You can always upgrade to 9sp chainrings if you so desire.

RBS-<< can an 8 speed crankset be used with a 9 sp speed cassette? i just picked up a shimano 600
crankset for a build up and my casette is 9 speed. will this work? >><BR><BR>

yes, no problem at all.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:54:24 GMT, RBS <[email protected]>
may have said:

>hi all
>
>can an 8 speed crankset be used with a 9 sp speed cassette?

Yes.

> i just picked up a shimano 600 crankset for a build up and my casette is 9 speed. will this work?

Yes.

Be sure to use a 9 speed chain with the 9 speed cassette. (You probably knew that.)

it's also possible that I'm busy.

thanks to all for your replies and a happy holiday to you and yours. if i may - a followup - are there differences between 8 ad 9 speed chainrings?

bob

RBS-<< a followup - are there differences between 8 ad 9 speed chainrings? >><BR><BR>

Manufacturers will say there are and they are important but just match the bolt diameter
and go ride.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 05:55:05 GMT, RBS <[email protected]>
wrote:

>thanks to all for your replies and a happy holiday to you and yours. if i may - a followup - are
>there differences between 8 ad 9 speed chainrings?

As I understand it Shimano's 9-speed rings are made so that the teeth of the rings are slightly
offset to bring them closer to each other than with pre-9-speed rings. This is supposed to prevent
the slightly narrower 9-speed chains from possibly jamming between the rings during a shift. In
practice this never happens. I've been riding with Dura Ace "8-speed" cranks and 9-speed everything
else for a few years now. I've never had a shifting problem.

In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:54:24 GMT, RBS <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >hi all
> >
> >can an 8 speed crankset be used with a 9 sp speed cassette?
>
> Yes.
>
> > i just picked up a shimano 600 crankset for a build up and my casette is 9 speed. will
> > this work?
>
> Yes.
>
> Be sure to use a 9 speed chain with the 9 speed cassette. (You probably knew that.)

That's odd. I have been using an 8 speed crank and an 8 speed chain (SRAM PC-48) and a 9 speed
Deore and Deore LX cassette just fine. And 8 speed chains are CHEAPER than its 9 speed equivalent
by about 50% or 70% if I buy them in a box of 12. In fact, my LBS showed me the Shimano bible (the
one with the new Dura Ace 10 speed crank on the front cover) that it is ok to use 8 speed chain
with 9 speed cassette.

So no, you can use 8 speed everything and a 9 speed shifter and cassette. But with a 8/9 Dura Ace
bar end shifter, you can index both 8 and 9 speed cassette without ever changing anything on your
drive train. All you have to do is to readjust the derailleur to take 1 more cog for 9 speed. Again,
I've tried this for awhile and it works great!

David <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<271220030740073714%[email protected]>...

[snip]

> I have been using an 8 speed crank and an 8 speed chain (SRAM PC-48) and a 9 speed Deore and Deore
> LX cassette just fine. And 8 speed chains are CHEAPER than its 9 speed equivalent by about 50% or
> 70% if I buy them in a box of 12.

[snip]

Dear David,

What do you do with the other eleven chains?

More seriously (well, sort of), do the 8-speed chains wear out so much more quickly on 9-speed
cogsets that buying bulk chain actually makes sense for a normal rider?

Like you, I buy SRAM PC-48, but I use it to lash my chainring to a 7-speed cogset. Seems to
work fine.

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:40:08 GMT, David
<[email protected]> may have said:

>That's odd. I have been using an 8 speed crank and an 8 speed chain (SRAM PC-48) and a 9 speed
>Deore and Deore LX cassette just fine. And 8 speed chains are CHEAPER than its 9 speed equivalent
>by about 50% or 70% if I buy them in a box of 12. In fact, my LBS showed me the Shimano bible (the
>one with the new Dura Ace 10 speed crank on the front cover) that it is ok to use 8 speed chain
>with 9 speed cassette.

I knew that it would work some of the time at the very least, but I've run into two people who had
problems with unidentified 8-speed chains that would intermittently try to climb to the next cog on
the 9-speed cassette. From what they said, it did not appear that the behavior was due to der
misadjustment. In looking at their chains and others, I couldn't find a difference between the 8 and
9 speed chains that could account for the behavior, but I concluded that I might just have not been
looking in the right place, so I decided to go with the 9-with-9 advice as being known to be safe
and effective.

>So no, you can use 8 speed everything and a 9 speed shifter and cassette. But with a 8/9 Dura Ace
>bar end shifter, you can index both 8 and 9 speed cassette without ever changing anything on your
>drive train. All you have to do is to readjust the derailleur to take 1 more cog for 9 speed.
>Again, I've tried this for awhile and it works great!

I will call that good news and keep it in mind.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

In article <[email protected]>, Carl
Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:

> David <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<271220030740073714%[email protected]>...
>
> [snip]
>
> > I have been using an 8 speed crank and an 8 speed chain (SRAM PC-48) and a 9 speed Deore and
> > Deore LX cassette just fine. And 8 speed chains are CHEAPER than its 9 speed equivalent by about
> > 50% or 70% if I buy them in a box of 12.
>
> [snip]
>
> Dear David,
>
> What do you do with the other eleven chains?

I usually got through about 3 chains a year, so I thought why not buy them in a pack of 12 and save
a trip down.. And I do lube the chain regularly with Boeshield T-9 -- good stuff!

> More seriously (well, sort of), do the 8-speed chains wear out so much more quickly on 9-speed
> cogsets that buying bulk chain actually makes sense for a normal rider?

PC-48 is rated medium for durability. I buy them in bulk not because they wear out quickly, though 3
a year seems a lot to some people, but because I get a deal from my LBS. Like buying bulk at Costco
type of thing. Too bad Costco doesn't sell PC-48 chains.

> Like you, I buy SRAM PC-48, but I use it to lash my chainring to a 7-speed cogset. Seems to
> work fine.

7 and 8 speed use the same chain. 9 speed uses a narrower chain than the 7 and 8. It's just that,
the PC-48 chain is 7, 8 and 9 speed compatible though the book says only 7 and 8.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:40:08 GMT, David <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >That's odd. I have been using an 8 speed crank and an 8 speed chain (SRAM PC-48) and a 9 speed
> >Deore and Deore LX cassette just fine. And 8 speed chains are CHEAPER than its 9 speed equivalent
> >by about 50% or 70% if I buy them in a box of 12. In fact, my LBS showed me the Shimano bible
> >(the one with the new Dura Ace 10 speed crank on the front cover) that it is ok to use 8 speed
> >chain with 9 speed cassette.
>
> I knew that it would work some of the time at the very least, but I've run into two people who had
> problems with unidentified 8-speed chains that would intermittently try to climb to the next cog
> on the 9-speed cassette. From what they said, it did not appear that the behavior was due to der
> misadjustment. In looking at their chains and others, I couldn't find a difference between the 8
> and 9 speed chains that could account for the behavior, but I concluded that I might just have not
> been looking in the right place, so I decided to go with the 9-with-9 advice as being known to be
> safe and effective.

Only SRAM PC-48 that I have tried works great or the Shimano equivalent ofcourse as the bible
stated. PC-48 is the lowest I would go. Cheaper chains I found have very flexible side plates .

David <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<281220031732295814%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Carl Fogel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > David <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<271220030740073714%[email protected]>...
> >
> > [snip]

> > Like you, I buy SRAM PC-48, but I use it to lash my chainring to a 7-speed cogset. Seems to
> > work fine.
> >
> 7 and 8 speed use the same chain. 9 speed uses a narrower chain than the 7 and 8. It's just that,
> the PC-48 chain is 7, 8 and 9 speed compatible though the book says only 7 and 8.

Don't forget 5 & 6 speed too.

Quoting chains in terms of the maximum number of speeds has always seemed faintly ridiculous to me.
Of course PC-48 chains are fine on my 1,5,6,7 speed bikes, the sprocket thickness are all pretty
much the same, (though 5s/6s spacing is a teeny bit bigger), so why wouldn't it be so?. Of course,
no-one would want to put "5-7 speed compatible" on the box - it MUST be so old-fashioned and out of
date if it works on a five speed!

There is somewhat perverse logic involved in finding a chain for my fixed wheel bike where I reject
"single speed" chains, but accept an "8-speed" or "7-speed".

see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html for more exact data on sprocket thickness
and spacing.

Andrew Webster

On 29 Dec 2003 04:27:59 -0800, [email protected] (Andrew
Webster) may have said:

>Quoting chains in terms of the maximum number of speeds has always seemed faintly ridiculous to me.
>Of course PC-48 chains are fine on my 1,5,6,7 speed bikes, the sprocket thickness are all pretty
>much the same, (though 5s/6s spacing is a teeny bit bigger), so why wouldn't it be so?.

Using single-speed chain on a der system will provide an educational and not necessarily
entertaining experience, however.

it's also possible that I'm busy.