"8" spd derailleur with 9 spd cassette and chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Victor

My wife just bought a 'cross bike with a relatively tall lowest gear of 38x25 and 9spd Shimano 105
STI shifters and derailleurs. I'm thinking of swapping out the rear derailer for a mtb variety to
accomodate a 32 or 34 tooth cog. I have a neglected old mtb with a STX derailleur from about 5 years
ago that was probably designed at the time for 8 spd use. My wife also has a mtb bike purchased in
1999 with an LX derailleur that came with an 8 spd cassette. Any reason why either of these devices
wouldn't serve the purpose? I would more than likely need a new 9 spd chain as there probably aren't
enough links in the current one.

Thanks for your advice, Victor

PS In case you're wondering, I did in fact search through rec*tech for similar posts but didn't get
that warm fuzzy feeling. I apologize for the unoriginality of the topic.

weinstev-<< My wife just bought a 'cross bike with a relatively tall lowest gear of 38x25 and 9spd
Shimano 105 STI shifters and derailleurs. I'm thinking of swapping out the rear derailer for a mtb
variety to accomodate a 32 or 34 tooth cog. I have a neglected old mtb with a STX derailleur from
about 5 years ago that was probably designed at the time for 8 spd use. My wife also has a mtb bike
purchased in 1999 with an LX derailleur that came with an 8 spd cassette. Any reason why either of
these devices wouldn't serve the purpose? I would more than likely need a new 9 spd chain as there
probably aren't enough links in the current one.

Yes, the MTB rear ders you mention will work just fine with the 9s components.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> weinstev-<< My wife just bought a 'cross bike with a relatively tall lowest gear of 38x25 and 9spd
> Shimano 105 STI shifters and derailleurs. I'm thinking of swapping out the rear derailer for a mtb
> variety to accomodate a 32 or 34 tooth cog. I have a neglected old mtb with a STX derailleur from
> about 5 years ago that was probably designed at the time for 8 spd use. My wife also has a mtb
> bike purchased in 1999 with an LX derailleur that came with an 8 spd cassette. Any reason why
> either of these devices wouldn't serve the purpose? I would more than likely need a new 9 spd
> chain as there probably aren't enough links in the current one.
>
> Yes, the MTB rear ders you mention will work just fine with the 9s components.
>
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Peter,

thanks for the response. I surfed around a little more and saw that Sheldon Brown had provided the
same advice on his website. Unfortunately, and probably intentionally, the various derailers are
marketed as being X-spd specific.

Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.