8 speed campy w/ XTR CS-M900 cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric

Eric Guest

Sorry for having to ask a campy compatibility question...

I recently purchased a 1996 campy 8 speed titanium ergopower record group that came with campy 8
    speed record cassette and a shimano 8 speed hyperglide 12-28 XTR CS-M900 from 1998. The group came
    with a 9 speed chain and apparently has worked with the XTR cassette. Since 8 speed campy hubs are
    rare, I would like to believe that the XTR works. Obviously I do not have this group mounted on a
    bike or I would know if this works. So my question is: does anyone know the spacing of campy 8
    speed and shimano XTR 8 speed? Side by side, the 2 cassettes look similar. Thanks in advance for
    any help. Eric

1-is this a known fact? Has anybody tried this?

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Sheldon Brown knows. See his site at URL:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    Scroll down or click down to "spacing"
    Campy 8 speed spacing is 5 mm while Shimano 8 is 4.8 mm.
    I wouldn't use a 9 speed chain with either. You might get by with it on the Shimano, but why would you try it for the price of an eight speed chain?

3. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

Eric wrote:

> I recently purchased a 1996 campy 8 speed titanium ergopower record group that came with campy 8
    > speed record cassette and a shimano 8 speed hyperglide 12-28 XTR CS-M900 from 1998. The group came
    > with a 9 speed chain and apparently has worked with the XTR cassette. Since 8 speed campy hubs are
    > rare, I would like to believe that the XTR works. Obviously I do not have this group mounted on a
    > bike or I would know if this works. So my question is: does anyone know the spacing of campy 8
    > speed and shimano XTR 8 speed? Side by side, the 2 cassettes look similar. Thanks in advance for
    > any help.

short answer="no"

As posted here earlier in the week, Campagnolo 8 spacing is
    5., same as Shimano Seven. Shimano 8 is 4.8

Not only is the spacing different but the Shimano XTR cassette cannot mount on a Record 8 hub.

You can change the Record lever to a nine with a new shift insert ($34.95), get a new model
    Camoagnolo RD (from $57) and a Shimano wheel ($?.00) for your XTR cassette. That comination is
    excellent with Shimano 8 spacing.

Other variables include moving the cable attachment position to change the RD travel but I am not an
    expert on that. See hubbub.com.

--
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.