8 speed campy w/ XTR CS-M900 cassette

Eric

Guest
Sorry for having to ask a campy compatibility question...

I recently purchased a 1996 campy 8 speed titanium ergopower record group that came with campy 8
speed record cassette and a shimano 8 speed hyperglide 12-28 XTR CS-M900 from 1998. The group came
with a 9 speed chain and apparently has worked with the XTR cassette. Since 8 speed campy hubs are
rare, I would like to believe that the XTR works. Obviously I do not have this group mounted on a
bike or I would know if this works. So my question is: does anyone know the spacing of campy 8
speed and shimano XTR 8 speed? Side by side, the 2 cassettes look similar. Thanks in advance for
any help. Eric

1-is this a known fact? Has anybody tried this?

Originally posted by Eric
Sorry for having to ask a campy compatibility question...

I recently purchased a 1996 campy 8 speed titanium ergopower record group that came with campy 8
speed record cassette and a shimano 8 speed hyperglide 12-28 XTR CS-M900 from 1998. The group came
with a 9 speed chain and apparently has worked with the XTR cassette. Since 8 speed campy hubs are
rare, I would like to believe that the XTR works. Obviously I do not have this group mounted on a
bike or I would know if this works. So my question is: does anyone know the spacing of campy 8
speed and shimano XTR 8 speed? Side by side, the 2 cassettes look similar. Thanks in advance for
any help. Eric

1-is this a known fact? Has anybody tried this?

Sheldon Brown knows. See his site at URL:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Scroll down or click down to "spacing"
Campy 8 speed spacing is 5 mm while Shimano 8 is 4.8 mm.
I wouldn't use a 9 speed chain with either. You might get by with it on the Shimano, but why would you try it for the price of an eight speed chain?

Eric wrote:

> I recently purchased a 1996 campy 8 speed titanium ergopower record group that came with campy 8
> speed record cassette and a shimano 8 speed hyperglide 12-28 XTR CS-M900 from 1998. The group came
> with a 9 speed chain and apparently has worked with the XTR cassette. Since 8 speed campy hubs are
> rare, I would like to believe that the XTR works. Obviously I do not have this group mounted on a
> bike or I would know if this works. So my question is: does anyone know the spacing of campy 8
> speed and shimano XTR 8 speed? Side by side, the 2 cassettes look similar. Thanks in advance for
> any help.

short answer="no"

As posted here earlier in the week, Campagnolo 8 spacing is
5., same as Shimano Seven. Shimano 8 is 4.8

Not only is the spacing different but the Shimano XTR cassette cannot mount on a Record 8 hub.

You can change the Record lever to a nine with a new shift insert ($34.95), get a new model
Camoagnolo RD (from $57) and a Shimano wheel ($?.00) for your XTR cassette. That comination is
excellent with Shimano 8 spacing.

Other variables include moving the cable attachment position to change the RD travel but I am not an
expert on that. See hubbub.com.