8 speed cassette fits on 9 speed hub just fine?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bicyclette, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bicyclette

Bicyclette Guest

I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    fit fine without the spacer?

Tags:

2. Ken

Ken Guest

bicyclette <[email protected]> wrote in news:c0re3n$as8$1
    @ausnews.austin.ibm.com:
    > I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    > Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    > fit fine without the spacer?

Yes.

3. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:02:47 -0500, bicyclette <[email protected]> may
    have said:

>I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    >Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    >fit fine without the spacer?

Yup.

7s needs a spacer.

--
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

4. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

bicyclette <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    > Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to

Yes, 8- and 9-speed Shimano cassette bodies are the same width. See
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#bodies

Jeff

5. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

bicyclette wrote:

>
    Correct. Shimano's system uses the same cassette body for both 8 and 9. Six, seven and ten are the
    other three types.

In Campagnolo hubs, eight is a different cassette body from the current 9/10 model.

--
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

6. eddie-<< I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8
    speed Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It
    seems to fit fine without the spacer? >><BR><BR>

Yep, the 'stack' of 8s and 9s are about the same, with the spacers of the 9s being thinner.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.