8 speed cassette fits on 9 speed hub just fine?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bicyclette, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Bicyclette

    Bicyclette Guest

    I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    fit fine without the spacer?

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    bicyclette <[email protected]> wrote in news:c0re3n$as8$1
    @ausnews.austin.ibm.com:
    > I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    > Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    > fit fine without the spacer?

    Yes.

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:02:47 -0500, bicyclette <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    >Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    >fit fine without the spacer?

    Yup.

    7s needs a spacer.

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    bicyclette <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    > Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    > fit fine without the spacer?

    Yes, 8- and 9-speed Shimano cassette bodies are the same width. See
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#bodies

    Jeff

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    bicyclette wrote:

    > I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8 speed
    > Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It seems to
    > fit fine without the spacer?

    Correct. Shimano's system uses the same cassette body for both 8 and 9. Six, seven and ten are the
    other three types.

    In Campagnolo hubs, eight is a different cassette body from the current 9/10 model.

  6. eddie-<< I just got new a new 9 speed hub on the new wheel I bought. I was expecting my previous 8
    speed Shimano Hyperglide cassette to need a spacer since it was only 8 speed, but it didn't. It
    seems to fit fine without the spacer? >><BR><BR>

    Yep, the 'stack' of 8s and 9s are about the same, with the spacers of the 9s being thinner.