8 Speed chain on a single front chainring and 9 spped cassette?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Will Wong, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Will Wong

    Will Wong Guest

    I'm about to rebuild my cross bike with a single front chainring and a 9 speed Shimano cassette and
    was wondering if I can use an 8 speed chain on this setup? The reason I'm asking is that I have a
    new 8 speed chains which will become obsolete with my current bike stable. I would like to use the
    chains if I can. I know the cassette cogs are the same on 7,8,& 9 speeds but the spacers are
    different. I was wondering if the 8 sp chain would actually fit between the spacers and cogs across
    the range.

    Thanks, Will

    Tags:

  2. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    Will Wong wrote:
    > I'm about to rebuild my cross bike with a single front chainring and a 9 speed Shimano cassette
    > and was wondering if I can use an 8 speed chain on this setup?

    I've used 8-speed chains on a 9-speed Shimano system with no noticeable flaws in operation. That's
    one data point. Of course, maybe I just got lucky...

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  3. Cy Galley

    Cy Galley Guest

    I am using an 8 speed chain on my 9 speed. Works fine.

    --

    Cy Galley - Webmaster www.qcbc.org