8 Speed chain on a single front chainring and 9 spped cassette?

Will Wong

Guest
I'm about to rebuild my cross bike with a single front chainring and a 9 speed Shimano cassette and
was wondering if I can use an 8 speed chain on this setup? The reason I'm asking is that I have a
new 8 speed chains which will become obsolete with my current bike stable. I would like to use the
chains if I can. I know the cassette cogs are the same on 7,8,& 9 speeds but the spacers are
different. I was wondering if the 8 sp chain would actually fit between the spacers and cogs across
the range.

Thanks, Will

Will Wong wrote:
> I'm about to rebuild my cross bike with a single front chainring and a 9 speed Shimano cassette
> and was wondering if I can use an 8 speed chain on this setup?

I've used 8-speed chains on a 9-speed Shimano system with no noticeable flaws in operation. That's
one data point. Of course, maybe I just got lucky...

Dave dvt at psu dot edu

I am using an 8 speed chain on my 9 speed. Works fine.

--

Cy Galley - Webmaster www.qcbc.org