8 speed freewheel options

Emory

Guest
Question

I have a Zipp 950 disc wheel that I use for track it has the option of attaching a freewheel to the
other side of the hub for road use.

First question can you still get 8 speed shimano compatible freewheel and where I would be looking
for a 12-23 cluster for time trial use. In addition is there a way to make this work with my 9 speed
dura ace barcons. Will I need to run a 8 speed chain or will my 9 speed sram chain work.

Thanks for any and all advice. Emory

"Emory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Question
>
> I have a Zipp 950 disc wheel that I use for track it has the option of attaching a freewheel to
> the other side of the hub for road use.
>
> First question can you still get 8 speed shimano compatible freewheel and where I would be looking
> for a 12-23 cluster for time trial use. In addition is there a way to make this work with my 9
> speed dura ace barcons. Will I need to run a 8 speed chain or will my 9 speed sram chain work.

Eight speed freewheels are available but have you considered the load on your poor overhanging right
side axle? FW-8 are famous for axle failures.

I would use this only for TTs only a few times a year i guess it would be better to get another
wheel but I have considered my poor over stressed wallet. (joke). But the question remains would the
shifting work and where to get the freewheel. Emory

> Eight speed freewheels are available but have you considered the load on your poor overhanging
> right side axle? FW-8 are famous for axle failures.

emory-<< First question can you still get 8 speed shimano compatible freewheel and where I would be
looking for a 12-23 cluster for time trial use.

Sram but are you sure it has enough axle to support the stack of a 8s? I suspect it's a 7s only-

<< In addition is there a way to make this work with my 9 speed dura ace barcons.

Friction only.

<< Will I need to run a 8 speed chain or will my 9 speed sram chain work.

In friction any chain will be ok.

In all of the years that I ran freewheels (88-96), I never had a problem with any of my axles (I'm
+-180#). Unless you're 200#+, I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially since it is an
occasional use wheel.

Your 9s barcons should shift the 8s FW fine, but you're probably going to have to adjust things
specifically for this wheel. Might be easier just to switch over to friction mode and "feel" the
shifts. Make sure that the derailleur's travel doesn't take it past either end of the FW.