8 speed freewheel?

Keven Ruf

Guest
Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one? I have an old set of wheels that would be nice to
use, and I would if I could thread an 8 speed freewheel on there. Thanks!

--Keven.

In article <[email protected]>, Keven Ruf <[email protected]> wrote:
>Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one?

Definitely yes. Try rec.bicycles.marketplace, eBay, etc. Sachs/SRAM used to make them, but not any
more. They do turn up regularly.

> I have an old set of wheels that would be nice to use, and I would if I could thread an 8 speed
> freewheel on there. Thanks!

There are several reasons why you don't want this freewheel -

1. You will probably need to respace the hub and redish the wheel to allow the freewheel to fit. The
increased dish will make the wheel weaker.

2. You will increase the likelihood of a bent rear axle after respacing it. This is a common problem
with 8-speed freewheels.

3. You can use a 7-speed freewheel instead - spacing is nearly identical to 8, will work with
8-speed index systems, last click in the shifter will be unused.

The best 7-speed freewheel is Dura Ace. Also no longer manufactured but still available if you have
plenty of $$.

Best long-term fix is to rebuild the wheel with a cassette hub. If you match the hub dimensions
fairly closely, you can replace only the hub & cogs, reusing the rim and spokes. I use new nipples
when I reuse old spokes; the spokes themselves do not need replacing unless damaged.

--Paul

[email protected] (Keven Ruf) wrote:
>Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one?

Yes, Sachs used to make them... and you don't want one.

>I have an old set of wheels that would be nice to use, and I would if I could thread an 8 speed
>freewheel on there. Thanks!

Using any freewheel with over seven cogs is just asking for a broken axle.

You'll need a Campy 130mm axle and I'd recommend it only for riders under 160 pounds. It IS a strain
on the axle.

R / John

"Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] (Keven Ruf) wrote:
> >Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one?
>
> Yes, Sachs used to make them... and you don't want one.
>

> >I have an old set of wheels that would be nice to use, and I would if I could thread an 8 speed
> >freewheel on there. Thanks!
>
> Using any freewheel with over seven cogs is just asking for a broken axle.

I've had exactly the opposite experience.

I've got one with a 135mm axle for my touring frame. I weigh in at about 170lb, and my bike loaded
with gear is about 90-110, depending on food/water.

Never had a problem with an axle, and I've ridden it cross-USA, up the Alaska hiway, out to Jasper,
down to Mexico, etc...

-pete

"John Carrier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You'll need a Campy 130mm axle and I'd recommend it only for riders under 160 pounds. It IS a
> strain on the axle.
>
> R / John
>
> "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > [email protected] (Keven Ruf) wrote:
> > >Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one?
> >
> > Yes, Sachs used to make them... and you don't want one.
> >

> > >I have an old set of wheels that would be nice to use, and I would if I could thread an 8 speed
> > >freewheel on there. Thanks!
> >
> > Using any freewheel with over seven cogs is just asking for a broken axle.

"Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one? I have
an old set
> of wheels that would be nice to use, and I would if I
could thread an
> 8 speed freewheel on there. Thanks!
>
> --Keven.

SRAM make several - you can buy these from Nashbar - http://www.nashbar.com A. E. Bike also has a
couple from the QBP catalog - http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=531

Or you can build your own - get a cheap Shimano HG-37 14-28 seven-speed freewheel and replace
the lockring with a 13T screw-on sprocket from an old DuraAce or Shimano 600 uniglide freewheel.
If you're really picky you can sand down the plastic spacers a bit to get eight speed spacing.
I'm currently running one of these on an old rear wheel with eight speed STI pending an upgrade
to a cassette.

Haven't bent any axles so far - but at my age, I wouldn't expect to.....

On Wed, 28 May 2003 13:12:33 -0700, "Pete Grey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Never had a problem with an axle, and I've ridden it cross-USA, up the Alaska hiway, out to Jasper,
>down to Mexico, etc...
^^^^^^
That is *so* incredibly jarring to read for me.

Nothing further to add here, carry on, don't mind me..

Jasper

"Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one? I have an old set of wheels that would be nice
> to use, and I would if I could thread an 8 speed freewheel on there. Thanks!

Any competent LBS which services bicycles because they are current equipment on XMart full
suspension bikes. If no LBS in your town, email me.

> "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Is there such a thing and where can I obtain one? I have
> an old set
> > of wheels that would be nice to use, and I would if I
> could thread an
> > 8 speed freewheel on there. Thanks!

"Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> SRAM make several - you can buy these from Nashbar - http://www.nashbar.com A. E. Bike also has a
> couple from the QBP catalog - http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=531
>
> Or you can build your own - get a cheap Shimano HG-37 14-28 seven-speed freewheel and replace the
> lockring with a 13T screw-on sprocket from an old DuraAce or Shimano 600 uniglide freewheel. If
> you're really picky you can sand down the plastic spacers a bit to get eight speed spacing. I'm
> currently running one of these on an old rear wheel with eight speed STI pending an upgrade to a
> cassette.
>
> Haven't bent any axles so far - but at my age, I wouldn't expect to.....

Out here in reality, where a good percentage of 2003 bikes come standard with Chinese 8-speed
freewheels, the SunRace is the common replacement, readily available at any competent shop which
services bicycles. $29.95.

SRAM discontiued all freewheel production three years ago.

On Wed, 28 May 2003 17:43:22 +0000, Paul Southworth wrote:

> Definitely yes. Try rec.bicycles.marketplace, eBay, etc. Sachs/SRAM used to make them, but not any
> more. They do turn up regularly.

Yep. I have two of them.

> There are several reasons why you don't want this freewheel -
>
> 1. You will probably need to respace the hub and redish the wheel to allow the freewheel to fit.
> The increased dish will make the wheel weaker.

But no weaker in that sense than an 8 or 9-speed cassette wheel.

> 2. You will increase the likelihood of a bent rear axle after respacing it. This is a common
> problem with 8-speed freewheels.

Yep -- except that "bent" really means broken. Axles are much to hard to really bend. Look closer
and you will see cracks. When I did this -- re-spaced my bike, re-dished my 30-year-old wheels and
got the 8-speed freewheels, I broke about an axle a month in the summer. Quick-release, solid, name
brand or no-name. All succummed to my mass.

> The best 7-speed freewheel is Dura Ace. Also no longer manufactured but still available if you
> have plenty of $$.

This begs the question of why? You can get a new hub for $30 or so, and a cassette to fit for about
that much. Replace that old hub with a new one. Cassette hubs are inherently stronger.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |