8-speed shifters on 7-speed bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Russell_allen, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Heya folks,

    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use an 8 (or ideally 9) speed shifter on a 7-speed bike? I'm
    being forced to buy new shifters, and I do intend to upgrade to a 9-speed setup when I have some
    spare cash.

    Cheers people,

    Russ :)

    Tags:

  2. Hi, I use 8 speed bar end levers(7/8spd Shimano 600 Ultegra SL-BS50-8 bar end levers Per pair
    includes cables and frame stops) on a 7 speed block and it works fine. I purchased them from
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm. Thanks John

    "russell_allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Heya folks,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use an 8 (or ideally 9) speed
    shifter
    > on a 7-speed bike? I'm being forced to buy new shifters, and I do intend
    > upgrade to a 9-speed setup when I have some spare cash.
    >
    > Cheers people,
    >
    > Russ :)

  3. "russell_allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Heya folks,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use an 8 (or ideally 9) speed shifter on a 7-speed bike?
    > I'm being forced to buy new shifters, and I do intend to upgrade to a 9-speed setup when I have
    > some spare cash.

    Depends what brands of bits you use. A lot of messages on various cycling NGs indictate that Campag
    8sp. shifters will work with Shimano 7sp. stuff, in much the same way that Campag 9sp. levers can
    shift a Shimano 8sp. set up. Needs a little bit of tweaking here and there, much the same as any
    transmission does, but you don't need to be a workshop expert to get it all working, by any means.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. Chris B.

    Chris B. Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:51:28 +0000 (UTC), "russell_allen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Heya folks,
    >
    >Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use an 8 (or ideally 9) speed shifter on a 7-speed bike? I'm
    >being forced to buy new shifters, and I do intend to upgrade to a 9-speed setup when I have some
    >spare cash.

    Assuming that your 7 speed wheel uses a cassette and not a freewheel, what you should do is run 8 of
    the cogs of a 9 speed cassette on your 7 speed hub, and use 9 speed shifters and a 9 speed chain.
    Although you will only have 8 speeds, the indexing will be spot on and you need only change the rear
    wheel (or simply change the freehub body and re-dish the wheel) you will have your 9 speed.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#upgrading

    Chris Bird