8 Speed Shifters

Corey Green

Guest
Anyone know of a source for Ultegra/DA 8-speed STI shifters?

Corey

every once in a while they come up on rec.bicycles.marketplace. Loose screws? if you find it there,
be prepared to pay.

roadbikereview.com may have some too.

Anyone else?

"Corey Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know of a source for Ultegra/DA 8-speed STI shifters?
>
> Corey

Corey Green asked:

Mike S. wrote:
> every once in a while they come up on rec.bicycles.marketplace.

Note that Ultegra and Dura-Ace 8-speed stuff is not compatible!

If you find Dura-Ace 8-speed shifters, they ought to be quite cheap, 'cause they are only compatible
with 1996 and older (pre 9-speed) Dura-Ace rear derailers. This is orhaned stuff.

Ultegra shifters are compatible with all Shimano rear derailers _except_ the old Dura-Ace ones.

If you currently have an 8-speed Dura-Ace setup, your best option is to buy 9-speed shifters (any
model.) With your old Dura-Ace rear mech, they'll index properly with an 8-speed cassette.

This will also provide you with an easy upgrade path to 9-speed...the only additional parts you'd
need would be a new rear derailer, chain and cassette.

Sheldon "Upgrade Strategy" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
| Westheimer's Discovery: |
| A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently |
| save a couple of hours in the library. |
+--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> If you find Dura-Ace 8-speed shifters, they ought to be quite cheap, 'cause they are only
> compatible with 1996 and older (pre 9-speed) Dura-Ace rear derailers. This is orhaned stuff.

I recall I can use the 8 speeds DA STI with DA9 rear deraileur (RD-7700)shifting 8 speeds cassettes
with success. I attached the cable at the top position.

I have a couple of 8sp DA rear derailleurs that I'd sell for a reasonable price. If you buy any 9sp
Shimano shifter, you'll shift 8sp perfectly.

I also believe that if you buy 9sp stuff and mount the derailleur cable on the wrong side of the
screw, you'll shift 8sp as well.

On 10 Feb 2003 12:29:44 -0800, [email protected] (Corey Green) wrote:

>Anyone know of a source for Ultegra/DA 8-speed STI shifters?
>
>Corey

Ebay seems to be a good source. 8 spd Ultegra is fairly common. 8 spd DA a little less so, but a set
just sold a day or two ago.

"Corey Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know of a source for Ultegra/DA 8-speed STI shifters?
>
> Corey

>Ebay seems to be a good source. 8 spd Ultegra is fairly common. 8 spd DA a little less so, but a
>set just sold a day or two ago.

These things do wear out so I personally would be cautious buying 8 speed shifters sight unseen.
After all, they would have to be at least 5 year old.

On the other hand, I have a set of Ultegra shifters that someone crashed and that don't work
properly. I would sell them for $10 and even though they don't work at least you will get dinged
for $10. <g>

I think Sheldon's views on 8 speed DA are well taken. If you don't have it now, don't get it. And if
you have an 8 speed DA rear derailleur you want to use with a 7 or 8 speed cog set, just buy some 9
speed shifters because the shift 8 speeds just fine with an 8 speed DA rear derailleur.

Jon Isaacs

Do you still have the D/A rear ders? What kind of shape are they in and how much do you
want for them?

The prices for the 8spd DA STIs on E-Bay are out of sight these days. Even not so pretty levers go
for over $150. If the 9 spd levers work, they are probably a better buy these days. Even the older
Ultegra stuff is overpriced on E-Bay. Of course, one of these days the ebay market will drop out
from under the older 8 spd stuff.

**** Peterson

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Ebay seems to be a good source. 8 spd Ultegra is fairly common. 8 spd
DA
> >a little less so, but a set just sold a day or two ago.
>
> These things do wear out so I personally would be cautious buying 8 speed shifters sight unseen.
> After all, they would have to be at least 5 year
old.

> On the other hand, I have a set of Ultegra shifters that someone crashed
and
> that don't work properly. I would sell them for $10 and even though they
don't
> work at least you will get dinged for $10. <g>
>
> I think Sheldon's views on 8 speed DA are well taken. If you don't have
it
> now, don't get it. And if you have an 8 speed DA rear derailleur you want
> use with a 7 or 8 speed cog set, just buy some 9 speed shifters because
the
> shift 8 speeds just fine with an 8 speed DA rear derailleur.
>
> Jon Isaacs

"Cathy Boland" <cboland@_DONTSPAMME_mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ebay seems to be a good source. 8 spd Ultegra is fairly common. 8 spd
DA
> a little less so, but a set just sold a day or two ago.
>
> "Corey Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone know of a source for Ultegra/DA 8-speed STI shifters?
> >
> > Corey

My summer bike is a very comfortable machine to ride, however its rsx levers have started to
fail, the left hand lever gave up the ghost last week. I've been informed of a shop that sells
campag 8 speed levers (record & mirage), and I'm tempted to buy a set and see if they work with
my rsx groupset.

I've read that campag 8 speed levers pull the same amount of cable as shimano 7 speed. Has anyone
successfully tried this combination.

Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson wrote:

> My summer bike is a very comfortable machine to ride, however its rsx levers have started to fail,
> the left hand lever gave up the ghost last week. I've been informed of a shop that sells campag 8
> speed levers (record & mirage), and I'm tempted to buy a set and see if they work with my rsx
> groupset.
>
> I've read that campag 8 speed levers pull the same amount of cable as shimano 7 speed.

Not correct, they pull considerably more cable...but, Campagnolo 8-speed _sprocket_ spacing is the
same as everybody's 7-speed spacing, so the Campagnolo shifters would be a nice upgrade, but only if
you get a Campagnolo rear derailer to go with them.

This will work just fine, possibly even better than an all Campag setup, due to the superior design
of Shimano's sprockets.

You won't need to change anything else but the handlebar tape.

| The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up | is that the Lord God of
| Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the | Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His
| creatures, can | be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not | receive this
| flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred | of evidence to bolster it, pays all the
| expenses of the oldest, | largest, and least productive industry in all history. | --Robert A.
| Heinlein |