8 Speed Shimano Cassette on Campagnolo Drivetrain?

YoursTruly

Aug 19, 2003
Hi,

I have a dilemma. I have a 1992/1993 Campagnolo Record drivetrain (on a frame of that era) that I have been too cheap to upgrade. My original 1992/1993 8-Speed Record/Mavic wheels still ride well and shifting is still OK because I have babied this bike.

I would like to use this bike on my indoor trainer. The issue is that tubular tires were cool back in 1992/1993 and I have tubular rims on that bike. Stripping and wearing out $75 per piece Vittoria CXs is not my idea of affordable.

I like to buy an el cheapo rear wheel to use on my indoor trainer. The other problem is that 8-speed Campy and cheap don't go well with each other. Can I buy a simple 8-speed rear Shimano wheel that has a Shimano cassette and use it on this bike on my indoor trainer? Nashbar is selling such a wheel for about $65. Will it work with my Campy/Rohloff chain? I don't really care about shifting performance because I won't really be shifting gears on the indoor trainer. Will it just ride normally without grinding away at my chain?

Thanks a million.