8 speed Vs 9 speed

Ron338

Feb 7, 2004
This is a follow up to my earlier post about 8 spd/9 spd compatibility.
Since everything involving an 8 speed either involves a compromise or a lot of difficulty in finding parts, is it better to just go with 9 speed? I weigh 220, and at times might be carrying 40 lbs worth of gear on the bike; does this present any problems for the relatively thin 9 speed chain? Does anyone have any opinion, pro or con, on whether 9 speed is a better choice?

Originally posted by Ron338
This is a follow up to my earlier post about 8 spd/9 spd compatibility.
Since everything involving an 8 speed either involves a compromise or a lot of difficulty in finding parts, is it better to just go with 9 speed? I weigh 220, and at times might be carrying 40 lbs worth of gear on the bike; does this present any problems for the relatively thin 9 speed chain? Does anyone have any opinion, pro or con, on whether 9 speed is a better choice?
Changing from 8 to 9 speed cost big bucks.
You will need a different shifter, chain, and cassette... at the very least. 8 speed parts are still quite easy to find.
9 speed chains are often harder to find than 8 speed shains.
9 speed cassettes are often more expensive than 8 speeds.

I've been told by some guys at local bike shops here that I should keep my 8 speed stuff because it will last longer and is stronger. Keep in mind that I was told this by guys who would love to sell me parts to "upgrade" to 9 speed.--------Dave

BTW I just bought a set of 8 speed XT shifters off EBay for $42. The parts are out there.

I am actually still running 7 spd on my mtb. I need new mechs, but i think I will be ok to just buy 9spd and then change the jockey wheels on rear mech if need be. May also need to change the chainrings.