8 speed XTR front der / 9 speed triple Ultegra STI shifter

OnTwoWheels

Guest
I've seen postings that indicated the throw or something is different
between Shimano road and mtb front deraileurs. Is this true? Will it not
work at all? If I'm usually pretty good at getting my deraileurs adjusted
might I get this combo to work?

> "OnTwoWheels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > I've seen postings that indicated the throw or something is different
> > between Shimano road and mtb front deraileurs. Is this true? Will it

not
> > work at all? If I'm usually pretty good at getting my deraileurs

adjusted
> > might I get this combo to work?

> http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheets

Thanks for the link, but I've already read that and some posts in the Google
archives. Most of what I've found said that the pull is different. I was
hoping to engage someone experienced with this situation that could
elaborate as to what I might expect. Are there are any alternate cable
routing tricks , could file somewhere or put a washer somewhere? I seemed
to only find that it's not the same pull, but I didn't get a feel for
exactly how bad it was. Is it a no go or might it just be that you have to
use a little finesse in your shifting?

OnTwoWheels wrote:
> I've seen postings that indicated the throw or something is different
> between Shimano road and mtb front deraileurs. Is this true? Will it not
> work at all? If I'm usually pretty good at getting my deraileurs adjusted
> might I get this combo to work?

It is true that shimano MTB front ders and road front ders are not
intercompatible. However, but screwing with where the cable is attached,
either above or below the fixing bolt, you can sometimes get them to be
'adequyate' but generally not.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> OnTwoWheels wrote:
> > I've seen postings that indicated the throw or something is

different
> > between Shimano road and mtb front deraileurs. Is this true? Will

it not
> > work at all? If I'm usually pretty good at getting my deraileurs

adjusted
> > might I get this combo to work?
> >

> It is true that shimano MTB front ders and road front ders are not
> intercompatible. However, but screwing with where the cable is

attached,
> either above or below the fixing bolt, you can sometimes get them to

be
> 'adequyate' but generally not.

To reinforce that point I have had a bottom pull LX front derailleur
shifted by a road RSX STI shifter for years now. I mount the cable on
the opposite side of the fder bolt.

Tom