8" to 6"?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    Does anybody have a way of using a 6" rotor on a fork that is meant for a 8" rotor only?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. Alan McClure

    Alan McClure Guest

    > Does anybody have a way of using a 6" rotor on a fork that is meant for a
    8"
    > rotor only?
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    At least with Hayes, I think that you can get an adapter that will let you put on an 8 inch rotor
    with the same caliper. So, I'm thinking that maybe it could work the other way around too with the
    right adapter for the mount. Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but I just finished about a week ago a big
    mess with installing my own hayes on the front. It is perfect now. I ended up reading so much in my
    search to get things working properly, and finally of course it was only a small, small detail that
    I was overlooking. Anyway, point is, while I was scouring the internet looking for info, I think
    that I read how you can use the same hayes caliper for either and 8 or 6 inch rotor as long as you
    have the right mount, or adapter for the mount.

    here are a ton of adapters(maybe there is one at this site):
    http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/brakediscadapter.htm

    Alan

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Alan McClure" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anybody have a way of using a 6" rotor on a fork that is meant for
    > 8"
    > > rotor only?
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    > At least with Hayes, I think that you can get an adapter that will let you put on an 8 inch rotor
    > with the same caliper. So, I'm thinking that maybe it could work the other way around too with the
    > right adapter for the
    mount.
    > Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but I just finished about a week ago a big
    mess
    > with installing my own hayes on the front. It is perfect now. I ended up reading so much in my
    > search to get things working properly, and finally
    of
    > course it was only a small, small detail that I was overlooking. Anyway, point is, while I was
    > scouring the internet looking for info, I think that
    > read how you can use the same hayes caliper for either and 8 or 6 inch
    rotor
    > as long as you have the right mount, or adapter for the mount.
    >
    > here are a ton of adapters(maybe there is one at this site):
    > http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/brakediscadapter.htm
    >
    > Alan

    Thanks, I'll have a look.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anybody have a way of using a 6" rotor on a fork that is meant for a 8" rotor only?
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Whew! From that subject heading, I though maybe Jimbo had an accident while cleaning the chain on
    the fixed whilst nude.

    Okay, sorry, I'm going to go sit in the corner now.

    /s

  5. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anybody have a way of using a 6" rotor on a fork that is meant for a 8" rotor only?
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I just got an email that talks about going from 6" to 8" in less than 2 weeks. Is that
    helpful at all ?

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    The Ogre <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Does anybody have a way of using a 6" rotor on a fork that is meant for a 8" rotor only?
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    >
    > I just got an email that talks about going from 6" to 8" in less than 2 weeks. Is that helpful
    > at all ?

    A step _up_ to 8"?? is this a common problem to be under 8"?
    --
    ~Travis (let me guess Penny, TMI, right ;-)

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  7. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Whew! From that subject heading, I though maybe Jimbo had an accident while cleaning the chain on
    > the fixed whilst nude.

    LOL!

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  8. > A step _up_ to 8"?? is this a common problem to be under 8"?

    What exactly are you insinuating?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  9. > > > - CA-G

    > > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    > >
    > > I just got an email that talks about going from 6" to 8" in less than 2 weeks. Is that helpful
    > > at all ?
    > >

    > A step _up_ to 8"?? is this a common problem to be under 8"?

    You aren't cutting 2 inches off me you satanic mofos!
    --
    _________________________

  10. The Ogre says:

    >I just got an email that talks about going from 6" to 8" in less than 2 weeks. Is that
    >helpful at all ?

    Sheesh! All my penispam says I can add 3", no pumps..

  11. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > I just got an email that talks about going from 6" to 8" in less than 2 weeks. Is that helpful
    > > > at all ?
    > > >

    > > A step _up_ to 8"?? is this a common problem to be under 8"?
    > >

    > You aren't cutting 2 inches off me you satanic mofos!
    > --

    Who said anything about cutting. We're just changing where you measure 'it' from. ;^)

    Mike

  12. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Ogre says:
    >
    > >I just got an email that talks about going from 6" to 8" in less than 2 weeks. Is that helpful
    > >at all ?
    > >

    > Sheesh! All my penispam says I can add 3", no pumps..

    Perhaps they want you to use the electrical things they use to strengthen your abs. I haven't read
    them beyond the headlines. Bill Porter claims to have some recent expertise in penis spam. Perhaps
    we should ask him.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

  13. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > > A step _up_ to 8"?? is this a common problem to be under 8"?
    > > >

    > > You aren't cutting 2 inches off me you satanic mofos!
    > > --
    >
    > Who said anything about cutting. We're just changing where you measure 'it' from. ;^)
    >
    > Mike

    Generally people who are overly concerned with penis size have feelings of inaquacy.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Generally people who are overly concerned with penis size have feelings of
    inaquacy.

    You're "ducking" the issue.

    Bill "not enough coffee yet" S.

  15. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  16. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Carla A-G <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You're "ducking" the issue.
    >
    > The issue is that I'm not getting an answer to my question...
    >
    > :-(
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    You must be patient grasshopper, we must first use up the many stupid comments regarding size, then
    we will grow tired of it and actually provide some useful information.

    My limited, and most likely incorrect knowledge if the issue would be that the 8" disk mounts are
    simply mounted 2" above where the 6" mounts would be. based on this, perhaps you could get a machine
    shop to create an adaptor that bolts to the back side (no wheel side) of the 8" mounts, drops down
    2" and provides mount holes for the 6" disk. this assumes that there would be no conflicts with the
    lower mount hole of the 8" to the top mount hold of the 6". if they just happen to align up (measure
    from the center of the two mount holes and see if they are 2 inches), then a longer mounting bolt
    can be used to go through the adaptor, fork mount, and into the caliper. Although, IIRC, the mounts
    are arranged so one sticks out farther than the other so the caliper is aligned correctly on the
    disk. so the holes would actually be one above the other, and this would work out.

    This is based on speculation as i don't have a fork with 8" disk mounts, and a 6" disk (with disk
    wheel) to measure the exact distance. If you bring it to a good machine shop and tell them what
    needs to be done, they should be able to figure something out. I would recommend they use at least
    1/4" material, unless they have the equipment to temper the end product.
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  17. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > You're "ducking" the issue.
    >
    > The issue is that I'm not getting an answer to my question...

    This IS AM-B Alt.Master-Ba... Ooops this is the mountain biking forum isn't it? Always get these two
    groups mixed up.

    Never mind my comments then, proceed with serious mountain biking discussions.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.NET

  18. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > A step _up_ to 8"?? is this a common problem to be under 8"?
    >
    > What exactly are you insinuating?

    That he has an incredibly small penis - he's fishing to be told he's not alone in that department.
    Oh: 'Duh'!

    Shaun aRe

  19. Ok so you were serious. The answer is yes Cala, there is an adapter from most manufacturers to go
    with the larger rotor because most forks in fact still have the brake mount in the same location.
    the Avid 185mm and 203mm adapters are about $15 each. I forget what brakes you have.

    --
    _________________________

  20. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok so you were serious. The answer is yes Cala, there is an adapter from most manufacturers to go
    > with the larger rotor because most forks in fact still have the brake mount in the same location.
    > the Avid 185mm and 203mm adapters are about $15 each. I forget what brakes you have.

    Thanks, Chris. Using XT hydraulics, they sell adapters for them?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!