8 year bike rider accident with truck- who's liable?

Roger Zoul wrote:
> IMO, it is clear. You're stopped, you're moving backwards. If you can't see
> or don't know what's behind you, don't move. You can simply look before you
> get in the car.

I was under the impression that the driver saw that it was clear,
started moving backwards, then the child rode into his path. Conditions
can change considerably in the time it takes to enter a vehicle, put on
a seatbelt, start the vehicle, check mirrors, put it in gear, and start
moving backwards. You suggestion is a little far-fetched.

There have been plenty of cases of suicide by leaping in front of a
moving vehicle. Would you consider the driver responsible in those
cases?

In the case under discussion, the kid intentionally turned into a
driveway behind a moving vehicle. It is not clear whether he was
initially on the road or the sidewalk. There is no indication that the
driver was acting in a reckless manner. The child placed himself in
harm's way.

That being said, it would be extremely difficult not to blame the
driver if it were my child. But that is my emotions talking, not
reason.

-Buck

nash wrote:
> Shouldn't people in Florida honk the horn when they back up especially when
> you cannot see what is behind you. The eight year old would have known then
> what to do. Otherwise she does not have a chance in hell.

If the child is not capable of avoiding a vehicle that is slowly
backing up, then he or she should not be left unsupervised. The
adult(s) responsible for the child at the time are the ones at moral
fault.

This 8-year old child could potentially have caused an injury to a
legally operating cyclist. Hitting even a small child can potentially
cause serious injury or death to a cyclist, if the cyclist goes over
the handlebars from the impact.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

[email protected] wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2006 08:12:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >The driver could see the driveway where he/she was backing up, the
> >driver just couldn't see a child on a little bike go up the side of
> >driver's driveway and behind. You can only do so much with mirrors and
> >trust others to know the difference. A truck is running, a truck is
> >backing up... hmmm.. maybe I should wait on the sidewalk for driver to
> >get past the sidewalk, or just go somewhere else. Helmet does matter-
> >it's Florida law- it's purpose is to protect your head incase of an
> >accident!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> No, its purpose is to make money for cycle helmet manufacturers.

WHAT!!! You mean a Magic Foam Hat [TM] molded from an inch thick piece
of expanded polystyrene can not support the weight of a truck to keep a
child's head from being crushed?

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

>snip>
> You sound as if you're the one who ran over this child. Are you?
>

> :: Roger Zoul wrote:

It sure looks to me as if he has a dog in that fight. Otherwise, why so
passionate?

Pat in TX

>>It is possible the court will find the
>>failure to wear a helmet contributed to the severity of the accident,
>>but it cannot have contributed to the cause of the accident.

> Failing to wear a helmet goes to the state of negligence on the part of
> the child or its guardians and could suggest a careless riding style
> that exceeded what the driver could have reasonably anticipated.
>
> --
>
> Bart

It makes me wonder if the Florida law includes children on bicycles on
private property or just out in the street.

Pat in TX

Buck wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: IMO, it is clear. You're stopped, you're moving backwards. If you
::: can't see or don't know what's behind you, don't move. You can
::: simply look before you get in the car.
::
:: I was under the impression that the driver saw that it was clear,
:: started moving backwards, then the child rode into his path.

I could understand this situation maybe....if it happened just that way then
I would say the driver could do nothing (but I'd wonder if the driver was
moving too quickly while backing up. One rarely needs to move very quickly
in reverse.) However, I didn't get that sense. Do you have another source of
what happened?

:: Conditions can change considerably in the time it takes to enter a
:: vehicle, put on a seatbelt, start the vehicle, check mirrors, put it
:: in gear, and start moving backwards. You suggestion is a little
:: far-fetched.

I don't think it is that far-fetched. What you're saying is that it's okay
to run over someone if you can't see what's in your path (as in backing up).
I don't think that should ever be the case. I agree that if someone comes
into your path so quickly that you can't possibly react, then that should be
called an accident. I frankly don't believe that's what happened with this
kid, though. Kids on undersized bikes don't move that fast. And I doubt an
8-year old would move into the path of a big truck if he/she knew it was
moving. This kid had time to fall off the bike and then get run over. All
while someone is watching, too. The driver pulled forward after running
over the child so that only one tire would come in contact - this after
being alerted by a bystander? Doesn't that sound a little fishy to you?

::
:: There have been plenty of cases of suicide by leaping in front of a
:: moving vehicle. Would you consider the driver responsible in those
:: cases?
::

No. However, backing up isn't the same as someone driving forward at speed
with a clear view of the road ahead and then having someone suddenly jump in
their path - on purpose.

:: In the case under discussion, the kid intentionally turned into a
:: driveway behind a moving vehicle. It is not clear whether he was
:: initially on the road or the sidewalk. There is no indication that
:: the driver was acting in a reckless manner. The child placed himself
:: in harm's way.

How could there be indications of reckless behavior? One doesn't need to be
reckless in order to be "not paying attention". Hopping in your car and
quickly backing out will seldom be thought of as reckless. It doesn't mean
that if the driver hadn't been paying more attention and being more careful
that he/she wouldn't have seen the child.

Children always place themselves in harms way. People - adults do the same
thing. When you're driving a potentially lethal weapon you assume a greater
level of responsibility, IMO. Anytime you move without a clear view of what
in your path extra caution must be used. The message to drivers needs to be
made loud and clear. I think people are getting too much slack while doing
serious damage with automobiles.

::
:: That being said, it would be extremely difficult not to blame the
:: driver if it were my child. But that is my emotions talking, not
:: reason.
::
:: -Buck

Check your reason, though. When someone runs over a child while backing up,
even if the child created the situation, doesn't mean the driver isn't at
fault. Facts don't represent truth in every situation.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Buck wrote:
> :: Roger Zoul wrote:
> ::: IMO, it is clear. You're stopped, you're moving backwards. If you
> ::: can't see or don't know what's behind you, don't move. You can
> ::: simply look before you get in the car.
> ::
> :: I was under the impression that the driver saw that it was clear,
> :: started moving backwards, then the child rode into his path.
>
> I could understand this situation maybe....if it happened just that way then
> I would say the driver could do nothing (but I'd wonder if the driver was
> moving too quickly while backing up. One rarely needs to move very quickly
> in reverse.) However, I didn't get that sense. Do you have another source of
> what happened?

I'm not clairvoyant and I can't find another source of information for
this story. I think what we have here is a clear case of different
assumptions. You are assuming the worst from and place the
responsibility on the driver. I assume that the cyclist could have
avoided the incident altogether.

Let me share an incident so you better understand my perspective.
Earlier this year, I was riding home and had only the final turn to
into my driveway left to make. The only problem was that someone
decided to use my driveway to turn around. I live near the intersection
of two rural highways, so it is common for someone who misses the
intersection to use my driveway to turn around.

I was in the center turning lane (four lane road with a center turning
lane). I thought the driver saw me because he stopped backing. I don't
like sitting in the turn lane for long so I (wrongly) decided that he
was offering to let me in and I proceeded to turn. Of course, he just
stopped to make sure that traffic was clear in the near lanes and
wasn't expecting someone to try to go around him into the driveway. He
started moving slowly backward as I moved directly into his path. A
solid thump of my hand on the trunk alerted him to my presence and he
immediately stopped.

Now, I think it is pretty clear that I was at fault. The way was
blocked, I was approaching from the blind spot on his car, I made
assumptions about his intentions, and I proceeded to place myself in
his path. Stupid decision on my part.

Since there are so many unanswered questions in the story about this
child, I am not so quick to crucify the driver. We don't know where the
kid was riding. We don't know if he approached from the driver's left
or right. We don't know how fast the kid was riding. (Your assumption
that a child can't move fast on a small bicycle is the same
ill-informed assumption that drivers make about adult cyclists every
day. I assure you that my daughter can fly on her little bike when she
wants to.)

Your perspective also colors your interpretation of what I have
written. I have never stated that I think it's ok to run over someone
if you can't see what is in the path. I was taking issue with your
statement "[y]ou can simply look before you get in the car." By this
statement, you suggest that the area behind a vehicle will remain clear
during the time it takes to look behind the car, enter, start, and
begin moving backward.

I am not surprised that the driver stopped the vehicle after hitting
the child. The way the story is written, it seems that the bystander
was responsible for stopping the car. I doubt that. Most drivers stop
their vehicles after experiencing an unexpected bump. I'd bet he felt
the first bump and stopped immediately. I'd also bet that the bystander
was yelling for the driver to stop. Do we know where she was standing?
If the driver was looking where he was going (I assume he was), the
bystander could only have signaled him if she were standing somewhere
behind his vehicle. I find that to be far-fetched. If I had hit
something, my first reaction would be to stop, my second would be to
open the window or door to find out what I had hit. My third would be
to move my vehicle appropriately to alleviate the situation.

So, to answer your question, do I think that stopping after hitting a
child and pulling forward a bit under the instructions of a bystander
to be fishy? No.

I am glad you conceded my point about suicidal pedestrians. Now take a
moment to think about how fast someone on a bicycle (even a child) can
move. Add in the poor decision to ride into the path of a moving
vehicle. Add in the complication of the vehicle moving backward and the
driver having limited visibility. Ignore the fact that there was a
bystander as she had no way of controlling the vehicle and her
perspective was different. She could see what was about to happen but
could do nothing to prevent it. She could see that he was moving along
one path and a child was moving along an intersecting path. If you
assume that the driver's focus was on her, then you assume he was
blindly backing the vehicle. Give him the benefit of the doubt before
you blithely place all of the blame on him.

-Buck

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> nash wrote:
>> Shouldn't people in Florida honk the horn when they back up especially
>> when
>> you cannot see what is behind you. The eight year old would have known
>> then
>> what to do. Otherwise she does not have a chance in hell.

> If the child is not capable of avoiding a vehicle that is slowly
> backing up, then he or she should not be left unsupervised. The
> adult(s) responsible for the child at the time are the ones at moral
> fault.

Who says the truck was Slowly backing up

> This 8-year old child could potentially have caused an injury to a
> legally operating cyclist. Hitting even a small child can potentially
> cause serious injury or death to a cyclist, if the cyclist goes over
> the handlebars from the impact.

The eight year old was on a three year olds bike which means a tricycle.
And it was not on the road. How does a cyclist not avoid that? Pretty
stupid if you do not give good clearance to an unknown hazard.
I do think though that the parents should have told her of the hazards of
going behind parked vehicles. Same as never stand behind a horse. I guess
she will now have to live with it.
I would call it 50/50 at fault if I had my say.

> Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Actually, I don't believe that children are supposed to be riding in
the street, are they? Also, the original thread states an earlier
accident in Florida- the author didn't say whether this particular one
happened there too.

Pat in TX wrote:
> >>It is possible the court will find the
> >>failure to wear a helmet contributed to the severity of the accident,
> >>but it cannot have contributed to the cause of the accident.

> > Failing to wear a helmet goes to the state of negligence on the part of
> > the child or its guardians and could suggest a careless riding style
> > that exceeded what the driver could have reasonably anticipated.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bart

> It makes me wonder if the Florida law includes children on bicycles on
> private property or just out in the street.
>
> Pat in TX

Actually, I don't believe that children are supposed to be riding in
the street, are they? Also, the original thread states an earlier
accident in Florida- the author didn't say whether this particular one
happened there too.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> I read the earlier posts regarding an eight year old bicyclist and a
> car colliding in Florida. How about this one. The 8 year old was
> riding a 3 year old siblings bike, and went up into a neighbor's
> driveway to go around a backing up truck. The driver could not see the
> bicyclist and the child fell off the bike and driver ran over child.
> The spouse saw it as it was happening, and got the driver to stop and
> go forward, so only one tire hit the child. The bycyclist apologized
> afterwards, but then due to head injuries, child no longer remembers.
> The driver was not ticketed and police told the driver there was no way
> the driver could have seen the bicyclist ( by the way- who was NOT
> wearing a helmet- which is Florida law ). The babysitters were drug
> users, drug dealers, alcoholics- and their own children have been seen
> playing with knives and bow and arrows outside, unwatched. Now the
> driver and spouse are being sued for negligence. Who's negligent here?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Depending on what legally constitutes "negligence" in that
jurisdiction, possibly nobody.

As for /fault/ -- I wouldn't be surprised if the judge could
find good reason to bawl out just about everybody involved.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

tim wrote:
> Actually, I don't believe that children are supposed to be riding in
> the street, are they?

They are.

I've heard of laws permitting young children to ride on sidewalks,
where adults are forbidden. I've never heard of a law forbidding
children riding on streets.

- Frank Krygowski

On 30 Nov 2006 09:49:49 -0800, "tim" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Actually, I don't believe that children are supposed to be riding in
>the street, are they?

In many states, yes. Typically, the legislators in such states have
given themselves a congratulatory pat on the back for making helmets
mandatory for juveniles at the same time that they were tossed off the
sidewalks.

In many localities, that's the only option; sidewalks are far from
universally present in the US...but where they are required, they are
sometimes explicitly off-limits to cyclists of any age. Where
sidewalk usage by bike riders is permitted, using them often imparts
egregious burdens if the rider's intent is to use the bike to go more
than just a block or two.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:49:16 -0800, bluesnorman wrote:

> I read the earlier posts regarding an eight year old bicyclist and a
> car colliding in Florida. How about this one. The 8 year old was
> riding a 3 year old siblings bike, and went up into a neighbor's
> driveway to go around a backing up truck. The driver could not see the
> bicyclist and the child fell off the bike and driver ran over child.
> The spouse saw it as it was happening, and got the driver to stop and
> go forward, so only one tire hit the child. The bycyclist apologized
> afterwards, but then due to head injuries, child no longer remembers.
> The driver was not ticketed and police told the driver there was no way
> the driver could have seen the bicyclist ( by the way- who was NOT
> wearing a helmet- which is Florida law ). The babysitters were drug
> users, drug dealers, alcoholics- and their own children have been seen
> playing with knives and bow and arrows outside, unwatched. Now the
> driver and spouse are being sued for negligence. Who's negligent here?
> They have been told that even though they were not negligent, they
> don't stand much of a chance because it's a child involved. Granted,
> the child was only eight, but an intelligent child who made a bad
> judgment call- but why are the driver and spouse negligent when there
> was no way to have seen the child? What about the babysitters? The
> parents? If the child had a helmet on, the injuries would have been
> less severe.

From the description, it sounds to me that the babysitters should be held
accountable, BUT, I wasn't there, I'm going on my opinion from the
description given. 2nd, I don't think the truck driver has much of a
chance of beating it, the insurance will probably settle. They wouldn't
go after the druggies anyway, I mean how much are they gonna be worth?

nash wrote:
> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > nash wrote:
> >> Shouldn't people in Florida honk the horn when they back up especially
> >> when
> >> you cannot see what is behind you. The eight year old would have known
> >> then
> >> what to do. Otherwise she does not have a chance in hell.

> > If the child is not capable of avoiding a vehicle that is slowly
> > backing up, then he or she should not be left unsupervised. The
> > adult(s) responsible for the child at the time are the ones at moral
> > fault.

> Who says the truck was Slowly backing up

Was there any indication that it was going fast?

> > This 8-year old child could potentially have caused an injury to a
> > legally operating cyclist. Hitting even a small child can potentially
> > cause serious injury or death to a cyclist, if the cyclist goes over
> > the handlebars from the impact.
> >

> The eight year old was on a three year olds bike which means a tricycle.
> And it was not on the road. How does a cyclist not avoid that? Pretty
> stupid if you do not give good clearance to an unknown hazard.

The child could ride out into the road between parked cars that were
taller than she/he was, leaving the legally operating cyclist a poor
chance at successfully performing an avoidance maneuver.

> I do think though that the parents should have told her of the hazards of
> going behind parked vehicles. Same as never stand behind a horse. I guess
> she will now have to live with it.
> I would call it 50/50 at fault if I had my say.

>From my observations of children in the US, I would expect that in most

accidents involving child cyclists, the BEHAVIOR of the child was at
fault (with the real fault belonging to the child's parent(s)/guardians
for not teaching proper behavior).

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Tom S says
This 8-year old child could potentially have caused an injury to a
> > legally operating cyclist. Hitting even a small child can potentially
> > cause serious injury or death to a cyclist, if the cyclist goes over
> > the handlebars from the impact.

>>The child could ride out into the road between parked cars that were

taller than she/he was, leaving the legally operating cyclist a poor
chance at successfully performing an avoidance maneuver.<<

How did you get from triking it on private property to jumping over curbs
between parked cars into the path of a cyclist. Not gonna happen. chasing
a ball yeah alright. playing they are unpredictable and you should be a
metre and a half away from parked cars anyway so you on the bicycle are
wrong and should be sued while you lay in the hospital in a coma. You are
just trying to point to the victim as the cause and projecting on us that
she is a danger to every one, especially us cyclists. haha

> Florida law states that children have to wear a helmet- this was passed
> to prevent injury to the head if they fall, or are in an accident. How
> can that not be important???

It's not important because no court in any state is going to hold an
8-year-old responsible for his/her not wearing a helmet. It's really as
simple as that.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

nash wrote:
> Who says the truck was Slowly backing up

And who said it wasn't?

> The eight year old was on a three year olds bike which means a tricycle.

Both of my kids, at three years old, owned and successfully operated
bicycles.

> And it was not on the road.

The incident happened in a driveway, but there is no indication where
the kid was turning from - sidewalk, road, or otherwise.

> How does a cyclist not avoid that? Pretty
> stupid if you do not give good clearance to an unknown hazard.

It is hard to give clearance if a hazard is unknown. There are some
which we anticipate, but sometimes things happen that we cannot
anticipate and cannot avoid. Sometimes we can anticipate that it
*might* happen, but we still can't avoid it when it does. (A certain
incident I had with a dog earlier this year comes to mind....)

You suffer from the same malady that we all do - our own experience
colors our interpretation of what was written. I find that it is always
better to step back and try to objectively understand what was written
- and what wasn't - before I jump to conclusions and start emphatically
defending one side, or the other.

-Buck

that is my point exactly. It did not happen when she was on the road or
sidewalk

and you say children jump down off curbs between parked car into oncoming
traffic on bicycles. If there are children possibly in the neighbourhood
you are suppose drive more cautiously also, so I do not get why someone
would try to equate it to jumping out from behind parked cars. They would
have to be very short not to be seen behind a car anyway. From a cyclist
point of view if you are careful it would never happen.
That was the view I was trying to cancel out. I was not defending anyone
except the facts. A metre and a half will usually give you enough time. A
dog is not what he wanted to sue anyway.
The brain automatically fills in empty spaces which we are victims to if we
do not step back but I was.

Everybody blames the victim. Maybe everyone should step back on that one.
Honk going backwards and drivers would cover their asses also. They are the
ones with the killing machines BTW

I stand by my first post.

nash

nash wrote:

> that is my point exactly. It did not happen when she was on the road or
> sidewalk
>
> and you say children jump down off curbs between parked car into oncoming
> traffic on bicycles. If there are children possibly in the neighbourhood
> you are suppose drive more cautiously also, so I do not get why someone
> would try to equate it to jumping out from behind parked cars. They would
> have to be very short not to be seen behind a car anyway.

You don't live where everyone drives a Landrover, Escalade, etc, huh? ;)

\\paul