80 mm Tubes or Valve Extenders for Zipp 404's

mikesaif

Feb 26, 2010
I've done a search and read a couple of relevant threads, but no concrete information. I have a set of 404 clinchers coming this week and wanted to know if it would be best using tubes with 80mm valves and if so, does anyone have any links to good quality ones? Or would it be best using extenders and if so, any feedback on these?

I only ever have 36mm valve stem tubes. A couple of Continental valve extenders are all I need for my deep wheels. Saves having to keep stock of different tube types.

mikesaif said:
I've done a search and read a couple of relevant threads, but no concrete information. I have a set of 404 clinchers coming this week and wanted to know if it would be best using tubes with 80mm valves and if so, does anyone have any links to good quality ones? Or would it be best using extenders and if so, any feedback on these?
Personally I use extenders mostly because I haven't found any latex tubes with 80mm valve stems, even the 60mm stems on some Michelin latex tubes aren't quite long enough for 404s. You can get 80mm butyl tubes and they're not bad but be sure to at least carry an extender in your repair kit so you can use any tube from a riding partner if you're unlucky enough to have two flats on a ride.

I don't care much for the stock Zipp extenders that come with the wheels. You've gotta have a tiny allen wrench or piece of stiff wire to let air out of the tubes and if the presta valve down inside the extender vibrates enough it can close. I've had that happen and it was a real PITA to get the air out of the tube to get in and reopen the valve.

Look for extenders that have an extension for the valve closure like these: Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Presta Valve Extender

Or the kind with the valve built into the extender itself if you run tubes with removable valve cores. And be sure to wrap teflon tape or put a dab of silicon sealant on the extenders so they don't leak when you're pumping up the tires.

-Dave

Vittoria make valve extenders with a valve in the end. The Continental ones I mentioned earlier (and which I use) are designed for tubes with removable valve cores. They come with a little tool for this and carry seals in the extender body to ensure against leaks. With these and a 36mm valve tube, the extended valve pokes out of a 58mm rim just enough (neat and tidy) to fit my silca-type pump head over the top.

The cheapest ones are a simple tube which srews over the original valve (which must be left undone). I've seen others use this with success but it doesn't look fail safe to me.