80% of Canada Disappears!!!!!

Fausto Coppied

Aug 17, 2006
Where is the Rest of Canada (ROC)?

National Cycling Championships for the next two years. What a joke!:

BMX - Abbotsford, BC - April or May 2008 (Date to be confirmed)
Track* (Paracycling) - Bromont, QC - June 24 & 25, 2008
Road (Master, Junior, Paracycling) - Beauce, QC - June 27 to 29, 2008
Road (U23, Elite) - Beauce, QC - July 3 to 6, 2008
Downhill - Mont-Sainte-Anne, QC - July 11 to 13, 2008 (Date to be confirmed)
Cross-country - Mont-Sainte-Anne, QC - July 18 to 20, 2008
Track (Master, Junior, Elite) - Burnaby, BC - August 27 to 31, 2008
Cyclocross - (To be confirmed)
* Due to early Junior road and track Worlds in 2008, selection events will happen (Flying 200m and individual pursuit) in Bromont, QC for Junior men and women during that period.

2009 (Location only)
BMX - Kingston, ON
Road (Master, Junior, Paracycling) - Beauce, QC
Road (U23, Elite) - Beauce, QC
Downhill - Anse-St-Jean, QC
Cross-country - St-Félicien, QC
Track (Elite) - Burnaby, BC
Track (Master, Junior, Paracycling) - (To be confirmed)
Cyclocross - Edmonton, AB

The Rest of Canada is really stepping up to the plate....
:rolleyes:

16 CDN National championships
9 in Quebec
3 in British Columbia
1 in Alberta
1 in Ontario

What a disgrace!!!

Where is the Ontario Cycling Association? The richest, most populated province in the country can hold only 1 national championship in two years and that is only a BMX event?????

Where is Saskatchewan, the province Bill Kinash has supposedly been doing such a great job with for the last 20 or 30 years?

Nothing from Manitoboa which use to have a strong presence nationally.

Nothing from the Marimtimes wher the CCA has been sinking money for years.

Do you see what a mess Kinash and those like him have made of the sport in Canada? What an embarrassment.

Nothing short of mass resignations or the launch of a new national cycling body should be accepted.

In 18 months Lorraine Lafreiniere, Director General of the CCA, has proiven to be a total disaster to the sport she kwos nothing about.

As we head into an Olympic year never in living memory (that's 35 years for me, personally and another 10 from ancedotal recounting) has the cycling scene in canada looked so bleak.

Fausto Coppied said:
Nothing from Manitoboa which use to have a strong presence nationally.
We'll see about that...unfortunately the first chance would be 2010 and the deadline for applications is march 15th 2008. If I understood right, CCA expects organizers to have experience in bigger races, so for Manitoba it would pretty much mean 2011 at earliest, since at the moment here's no bigger races.

Why Beauce is organizing -09 national road as well? I thought it was "just" -07 and -08.

Beauce must be doing it because nobody else wants to.

That's your CCA......what a disgrace.

If Lorreaine Lafrenire had any character at al she would resing.

If the Board of Directors of the CCA had any balls they would fire her.

Fausto Coppied said:
Beauce must be doing it because nobody else wants to.

That's your CCA......what a disgrace.

If Lorreaine Lafrenire had any character at al she would resing.

If the Board of Directors of the CCA had any balls they would fire her.
I just remember some people being upset about Beauce getting to organize -07 and -08 nationals on road. Maybe it's just that Beauce is the only willing organizer.

I typed "we'll see about that" in my previous post but I'll take that back. I kind of had some hopes but it seemed to be premature. At least I'm not holding my breath waiting for cycling to get better. Well...a day in a car or a plane and I'll get better cycling.

holli said:
I just remember some people being upset about Beauce getting to organize -07 and -08 nationals on road. Maybe it's just that Beauce is the only willing organizer.

I typed "we'll see about that" in my previous post but I'll take that back. I kind of had some hopes but it seemed to be premature. At least I'm not holding my breath waiting for cycling to get better. Well...a day in a car or a plane and I'll get better cycling.
I must add that some changes at CCA are good but they haven't really changed much since it all still happens in either BC or Quebec. Now that CCA is having less money, provincial associations have much more responsibility.

Holli, if you are going to make statements like this, "I must add that some changes at CCA are good but they haven't really changed much"

You are going to have to back them up.

What changes are good?

If they are good why haven't they change much?

If more responsibility is given to the provinces that have even fewer funds funds, how can that be good?

Only BC ands QC are up to the task. The rest are failing miserably, just like the CCA.

So, to sum up we have a failing CCA passing on responsibilities to even worse provinces.

How can any of this be good?

Fausto Coppied said:
Holli, if you are going to make statements like this, "I must add that some changes at CCA are good but they haven't really changed much"

You are going to have to back them up.

What changes are good?

If they are good why haven't they change much?

If more responsibility is given to the provinces that have even fewer funds funds, how can that be good?

Only BC ands QC are up to the task. The rest are failing miserably, just like the CCA.

So, to sum up we have a failing CCA passing on responsibilities to even worse provinces.

How can any of this be good?
I think it's good that now there's at least some interest in CCA to develop cycling in the provinces that aren't up to the task at the moment. I haven't been around in Canada for long enough to have first hand knowledge, but I was told that before other provinces than BC and QC didn't even exist on CCA map. Sure...this won't help QC or BC riders at all but since I'm stuck here at least for now it helps me and people around me.

My definition for a bigger change would be CCA funded Canada Cup races in every province and you've told over and over again why this won't happen (mainly the money issue). Good change is that at least now there seems to be better attitude at CCA towards these lesser provinces, but that's not quite enough.

Has CCA really passed responsibility to some of the lesser provinces?

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you on most things. I just can't see how BC&QC dominated CCA would be any better than this new CCA. And as I told already I don't know how things were before, but people I know tell me that it wasn't very good before.

Holli, Manitoba used to have a great provincial team, an excellent program and good events. ON and AB the same. Even Nova Scotia had some good events and produced a bunch of good riders for awhile (Peter Wedge for example, Kevin Wharton is memory serves, Jonathan Thompson, Jamie Gillis?)

The only province that has NEVER had anything noteworthy to provide has been and continues to be Saskatchewan and Bill Kinash can take credit for that. Inexplicably fools put that guy in charge of the CCA and he did to Canada what he had done to SK, he ruined things for it.

In the past the CCA insisted that national sponsors put on events across the country.

Canadian Tire did not want to do the Canada Cups they only wanted to do their big downtown races. The CCA made the Canada Cups part fop the deal.

That was when the CCA had some backbone and had guys who knew what they were doing.

Lorraine Lafreniere doesn't have a clue.

Fausto Coppied said:
Holli, Manitoba used to have a great provincial team, an excellent program and good events. ON and AB the same. Even Nova Scotia had some good events and produced a bunch of good riders for awhile (Peter Wedge for example, Kevin Wharton is memory serves, Jonathan Thompson, Jamie Gillis?)

The only province that has NEVER had anything noteworthy to provide has been and continues to be Saskatchewan and Bill Kinash can take credit for that. Inexplicably fools put that guy in charge of the CCA and he did to Canada what he had done to SK, he ruined things for it.

In the past the CCA insisted that national sponsors put on events across the country.

Canadian Tire did not want to do the Canada Cups they only wanted to do their big downtown races. The CCA made the Canada Cups part fop the deal.

That was when the CCA had some backbone and had guys who knew what they were doing.

Lorraine Lafreniere doesn't have a clue.
I know that Manitoba had good provincial team and good races. I want to get something going again...if not road then cyclocross which is growing here as well and we have perfect venues for it. There are some plans already but for some reason the attitude towards racing is somewhat negative.

Holli, that "reason" is probably because riders have nothing to aspire to. There ar no big events so why bother racing?

This whole grass roots philosophy doesn't float my boat. You can have hundreds of thousand of kids in a sport at grass roots level, like say soccer in Canada but without a professional segment, a reason, to aspire, there is no performance.

Same is true for cycling.

Without big races and pro teams why would kids want to continue on in the sport when it really gets tough? They just quit and do something else.