81 speed trike in progress

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rorschandt, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress. I hope to have it rideable in a
    week or two, and actually finished a few weeks after that. The tubing is 3/8" & 1/4" diameter 4130
    CrMo. It will have rear suspension, hydraulic front disc brakes, and a mid-drive that allows for a
    ridiculous 81 gear combinations. This is a somewhat high riding design to accomadate the position my
    neck requires. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287 Thanks for looking at my stuff.

    rorschandt

    Tags:

  2. Bg

    Bg Guest

    Cool frame design. How you gonna do the rear suspension? bill g

    rorschandt wrote:

    > Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress. I hope to have it rideable in a
    > week or two, and actually finished a few weeks after that. The tubing is 3/8" & 1/4" diameter 4130
    > CrMo. It will have rear suspension, hydraulic front disc brakes, and a mid-drive that allows for a
    > ridiculous 81 gear combinations. This is a somewhat high riding design to accomadate the position
    > my neck requires. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287 Thanks for looking at my stuff.
    >
    > rorschandt

  3. The fairing angle is all wrong and that seat...It'll never sell....sheeesh -------just messing with
    you---I love it----------- That mid-drive is scarey, the highest I went was 63, 7x3x3 and I have the
    same seat, flag mast position, front tires. Love the height of your USS grips though, mine are sooo
    low it looks like I am gripping my buttocks. More tadpole details once ur finished....pleeez
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress. I hope to have it rideable in a
    > week or two, and actually finished a few weeks after that. The tubing is 3/8" & 1/4" diameter 4130
    > CrMo. It will have rear suspension, hydraulic front disc brakes, and a mid-drive that allows for a
    > ridiculous 81 gear combinations. This is a somewhat high riding design to accomadate the position
    > my neck requires. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287 Thanks for looking at my stuff.
    >
    > rorschandt

  4. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    > Thanks for looking at my stuff.
    >
    > rorschandt

    Looks great Dean! Let me know when you're ready to roll! MikeB

  5. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    bg <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Cool frame design. How you gonna do the rear suspension? bill g

    Thanks. All is in place except for an air adjustable shock. The mid-drive and swingarm pivot is
    shared on a 12mm shaft, thus eliminating drive induced pogo.The shock will go in place of one of
    those wood blocks beneath the seat, horizontally. I'll have better pictures later.

    rorschandt

  6. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The fairing angle is all wrong and that seat...It'll never sell....sheeesh -------just messing
    > with you---I love it----------- That mid-drive is scarey, the highest I went was 63, 7x3x3 and I
    > have the same seat, flag mast position, front tires. Love the height of your USS grips though,
    > mine are sooo low it looks like I am gripping my buttocks. More tadpole details once ur
    > finished....pleeez

    I should mention that the completed trike in the photo(me sitting on it with dogs about)is the Tulpa
    Trike of Yore. The new trike, dubbed Chaco, will probably be purple. rorschandt

  7. Oh Yeah RU planning on sticking with the VT5000s or will there be any Disc Brakes in the future?
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > bg <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Cool frame design. How you gonna do the rear suspension? bill g
    > >
    > Thanks. All is in place except for an air adjustable shock. The mid-drive and swingarm pivot is
    > shared on a 12mm shaft, thus eliminating drive induced pogo.The shock will go in place of one of
    > those wood blocks beneath the seat, horizontally. I'll have better pictures later.
    >
    > rorschandt

  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:45:19 -0600, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress.

    Looks great, Dean! A space-frame recumbent trike. I like it!

    How do you like the Swanson seat?

    Regards,

    Tony

  9. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    [email protected] (Tony) wrote in news:3e68e915.171473819 @news.bright.net:

    > On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:45:19 -0600, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress.
    >
    > Looks great, Dean! A space-frame recumbent trike. I like it!
    >
    > How do you like the Swanson seat?
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Tony

    Very Ducati-esqe

  10. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

    Looks great! I wanted to build a space frame similar to that but using a dihedral type of structure.
    Unfortunately, aluminum was not a good choice for such a structure. Please post some pictures when
    you have it completed.

    Regards,

    --
    Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress. I hope to have it rideable in a
    > week or two, and actually finished a few weeks after that. The tubing is 3/8" & 1/4" diameter 4130
    > CrMo. It will have rear suspension, hydraulic front disc brakes, and a mid-drive that allows for a
    > ridiculous 81 gear combinations. This is a somewhat high riding design to accomadate the position
    > my neck requires. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287 Thanks for looking at my stuff.
    >
    > rorschandt

  11. Skip

    Skip Guest

  12. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Sounds like a good ride. What shock? Fox? Like to see pics. bill g

    rorschandt wrote:

    > All is in place except for an air adjustable shock. The mid-drive and swingarm pivot is shared on
    > a 12mm shaft, thus eliminating drive induced pogo.The shock will go in place of one of those wood
    > blocks beneath the seat, horizontally. I'll have better pictures later.
    >
    > rorschandt

  13. I knew that....eventually. I kept pics of the Tulpa from last year and when I saw it again...at 1st
    I thought, damn he has done a clone, even kept the red paint and Drum Brakes...then I thought maybe
    you moved the Drums to the clone....then I compared the old pics and the new pics and realized you'd
    made an exact clone...then I figured it all out.
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > The fairing angle is all wrong and that seat...It'll never sell....sheeesh -------just messing
    > > with you---I love it----------- That mid-drive is scarey, the highest I went was 63, 7x3x3 and I
    > > have the same seat, flag mast position, front tires. Love the height of your USS grips though,
    > > mine are sooo low it looks like I am gripping my buttocks. More tadpole details once ur
    > > finished....pleeez
    >
    > I should mention that the completed trike in the photo(me sitting on it with dogs about)is the
    > Tulpa Trike of Yore. The new trike, dubbed Chaco, will probably be purple. rorschandt

  14. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress. I hope to have it rideable in a
    > week or two, and actually finished a few weeks after that. The tubing is 3/8" & 1/4" diameter 4130
    > CrMo. It will have rear suspension, hydraulic front disc brakes, and a mid-drive that allows for a
    > ridiculous 81 gear combinations. This is a somewhat high riding design to accomadate the position
    > my neck requires. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287 Thanks for looking at my stuff.

    Beautiful design. Looks like a sculpture. Is the space frame a stiffer and/or lighter structure than
    large-diameter boom tube, or was there another reason?

    Definitely post some photos of the finished trike and let us know how it handles.

    -Barry

  15. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress. I hope to have it rideable in a
    >> week or two, and actually finished a few weeks after that. The tubing is 3/8" & 1/4" diameter
    >> 4130 CrMo. It will have rear suspension, hydraulic front disc brakes, and a mid-drive that
    >> allows for a ridiculous 81 gear combinations. This is a somewhat high riding design to
    >> accomadate the position my neck requires. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287 Thanks for
    >> looking at my stuff.
    >
    > Beautiful design. Looks like a sculpture. Is the space frame a stiffer and/or lighter structure
    > than large-diameter boom tube, or was there another reason?

    Theoretically, the spaceframe uses less metal and is much stiffer. If I did it right, the main frame
    should behave like a rectangular tube that is 3" by 4" with about a third the weight of a steel tube
    that size. Plus it looks cool. (~: Wind resistance may be increased because of "all those little
    tubes", but I've some ideas to counteract that.

    rorschandt

  16. Counteracting increased wind resistence eh Wonder how much a sheath of Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass
    would weigh?...maybe add side sockets to connect Wings.
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Here is a link to some pictures of my newest trike, in progress. I hope to have it rideable in
    > >> a week or two, and actually finished a few weeks after that. The tubing is 3/8" & 1/4" diameter
    > >> 4130 CrMo. It will have rear suspension, hydraulic front disc brakes, and a mid-drive that
    > >> allows for a ridiculous 81 gear combinations. This is a somewhat high riding design to
    > >> accomadate the position my neck requires. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/844656287 Thanks for
    > >> looking at my stuff.
    > >
    > > Beautiful design. Looks like a sculpture. Is the space frame a stiffer and/or lighter structure
    > > than large-diameter boom tube, or was there another reason?
    >
    > Theoretically, the spaceframe uses less metal and is much stiffer. If I
    did
    > it right, the main frame should behave like a rectangular tube that is 3" by 4" with about a third
    > the weight of a steel tube that size. Plus it looks cool. (~: Wind resistance may be increased
    > because of "all those little tubes", but I've some ideas to counteract that.
    >
    > rorschandt

  17. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Counteracting increased wind resistence eh Wonder how much a sheath of Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass
    > would weigh?...maybe add side sockets to connect Wings.
    Saran Wrap would be much cheaper (~: and probably lighter.

    rorschandt

  18. Damn...I was going to say Saran Wrap but I thought it would be too simple. How about this one: Make
    all the vertical tubes 3 sided with razor sharp edge facing forward to cut through the wind...also
    handy for slicing Kosher Salami while sitting there waiting for the Traffic Lights to turn Green.
    Just think of all the accolades from female DF cyclists...COOL trike, BIG Salami.

    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Counteracting increased wind resistence eh Wonder how much a sheath of Carbon Fiber or
    > > Fiberglass would weigh?...maybe add side sockets to connect Wings.
    > Saran Wrap would be much cheaper (~: and probably lighter.
    >
    > rorschandt

  19. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Joshua Goldberg <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How about this one: Make all the vertical tubes 3 sided with razor sharp edge facing forward to
    > cut through the wind...

    You'd get boundary layer seperation at the trailing corners, and almost certainly more drag than
    sticking to round tubes of the same width. Triangles facing the oppositte direction would be better,
    but possibly still not as good as circular tubes (even ignoring teh fact that teh circular tubes may
    well manage as smaller sections).

    > also handy for slicing Kosher Salami while sitting there waiting for the Traffic Lights to turn
    > Green. Just think of all the accolades from female DF cyclists...COOL trike, BIG Salami.

    You can slice teh salsami whichever way the triangles face.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  20. Dave Lehnen

    Dave Lehnen Guest

    rorschandt wrote: <snip>

    > Theoretically, the spaceframe uses less metal and is much stiffer. If I did it right, the main
    > frame should behave like a rectangular tube that is 3" by 4" with about a third the weight of a
    > steel tube that size. Plus it looks cool. (~: Wind resistance may be increased because of "all
    > those little tubes", but I've some ideas to counteract that.
    >
    > rorschandt

    You might try covering the frame with heat-shrinkable lightweight fabric made for covering model
    airplanes. Or even the heavier fabric sold for homebuilt aircraft. Monokote would be even lighter,
    but would tear too easily. You might find a translucent color that wouldn't totally hide the
    spaceframe.

    Beautiful job on the frame. I've always liked spaceframes, like Birdcage Maseratis, 300 SL's,
    Ducatis, etc.

    Dave Lehnen