87 Trek 560 Pro as a commuter/tourer?

kilen

Mar 2, 2008
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm from Superior Wisconsin USA, right at the western tip of Lake Superior. I would love to get a Bianchi Volpe, Trek 520, or Surly LHT/Cross Check, but unfortunately my budget does not allow it right now. Here's what I've got to work with.

http://www.pbase.com/kilen/image/91277232

It's an 87 Trek 560 Pro. The frame is Reynolds 531 Cromo, the wheels have been updated to Mavic MA40's, and it currently has Specialized 700x28 All Condition tires on it (not in picture). The drivetrain is all Shimano 105, 14 speeds total.

Ok, the gearing is not ideal, but I can live with it for now. The options for fenders are not good, but I can live with that for now as well (at least for a little bit). 700x28 is about as large as I can go on the tires. I can deal with that. Probably about the only rack option I've got is a seat post rack/pannier. That will work for now.

What else should I be thinking about? I'm going to order out a threadless stem adapter from Nashbar and a new stem to get the bar height up to where it will be comfortable.

Any other ideas? Is this bike even workable as a commuter/tourer?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Doug