8km Race Report

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Swstudio, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    Well, I got a horrible side stitch (rare for me) and packed it in at about 6km, walk-jogging to the
    finish in just over ½ hour, which is a normally no more than a hard training run for me.

    I was on pace for about 29:20 at 6km, which although not near my PR pace (28:36) is a pretty good
    showing for me at this time of year. I know I would have done that without the stitch, for sure.
    Still the fact remains that I got one, something that has not happened to me in racing since the
    early days. Perhaps I should blame the weather...? My pre-race rituals (food and otherwise) were
    tried & tested... nothing new.

    I know I am not in shorter distance racing shape right now, having done no speedwork for months. My
    fastest runs are about 10mile race pace. Maybe the quicker pace created it, even though I felt very
    comfortable aerobically, all things considering.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

    Tags:

  2. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I got a horrible side stitch (rare for me) and packed it in at about 6km, walk-jogging to
    > the finish in just over ½ hour, which is a normally no more than a hard training run for me.
    >
    > I was on pace for about 29:20 at 6km, which although not near my PR pace (28:36) is a pretty good
    > showing for me at this time of year. I know I would have done that without the stitch, for sure.
    > Still the fact remains that I got one, something that has not happened to me in racing since the
    > early days. Perhaps I should blame the weather...? My pre-race rituals (food and otherwise) were
    > tried & tested... nothing new.
    >
    > I know I am not in shorter distance racing shape right now, having done no speedwork for months.
    > My fastest runs are about 10mile race pace. Maybe the quicker pace created it, even though I felt
    > very comfortable aerobically, all things considering.
    >
    > cheers,
    > --
    > David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

    Earlier, you described the weather as being really cold. When I did the Samson Stomp race
    (http://tinyurl.com/yryfc), I felt like I had the beginnings of a side stitch for most of the second
    half the race. You probably got shocked by the weather in a way, in a way like I did.

    -Aaron TheYAM.net

  3. In article <[email protected]>, SwStudio wrote:
    > Well, I got a horrible side stitch (rare for me) and packed it in at about 6km, walk-jogging to
    > the finish in just over ½ hour, which is a normally no more than a hard training run for me.
    >
    > I was on pace for about 29:20 at 6km, which although not near my PR pace (28:36) is a pretty good
    > showing for me at this time of year. I know I would have done that without the stitch, for sure.
    > Still the fact remains that I got one, something that has not happened to me in racing since the
    > early days. Perhaps I should blame the weather...? My pre-race rituals (food and otherwise) were
    > tried & tested... nothing new.

    I got a bit of a stitch in the end of mile 8 on my 10 miler too. Then it mysteriously "went away".
    Maybe lack of speedwork has something to do with this.

    Anyway, it looks like you're going to be all set for a good race once you resume speed work.

    Cheers,

  4. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    SwStudio wrote:

    >I was on pace for about 29:20 at 6km, which although not near my PR pace (28:36) is a pretty good
    >showing for me at this time of year. I know I would have done that without the stitch, for sure.
    >Still the fact remains that I got one, something that has not happened to me in racing since the
    >early days. Perhaps I should blame the weather...? My pre-race rituals (food and otherwise) were
    >tried & tested... nothing new.

    Your pre-rate rituals were tried and tested...but for what event?

    I know that if I do 400s or Russian Intervals and it's been at least 4-5 hours after I ate, I get a
    stitch sometimes; I take a capuccino 60-90 minutes before the workout/race to eliminate this. If I'm
    doing longer steady-state runs (more or less the same kind of intensity that you normally do) with
    up to 5 hours after eating. I do not get a stitch. Shorter events have more concentrated energy
    requirements, and an 8K at a faster pace is not necessarily the same thing as a HM at a slower pace.

    Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson