8sp, 9sp chain help!



::dom::

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
789
4
0
I am in the process of upgrading the wife's bike (I managed to score a 9sp Sora group at a reasonable price). The current group is a mix of Shimano 2200 crank and shifters (8sp) and Sora FD and RD. The chain is HG50. My wife does aound 20-30km a week and doesn't race.... just casual rides.

Question: Can I use the existing (new) HG50 chain on the new 9sp group?

Thaaaaanks.
 

gclark8

Member
Apr 13, 2004
3,522
6
0
73
Question: Can I use the existing (new) HG50 chain on the new 9sp group?
No.

You need a 9 speed chain with a 9 speed cassette.

The front will be ok. ;)
 
Dec 30, 2007
2,111
8
0
::dom:: said:
I am in the process of upgrading the wife's bike (I managed to score a 9sp Sora group at a reasonable price). The current group is a mix of Shimano 2200 crank and shifters (8sp) and Sora FD and RD. The chain is HG50. My wife does aound 20-30km a week and doesn't race.... just casual rides.

Question: Can I use the existing (new) HG50 chain on the new 9sp group?

Thaaaaanks.

Not really. A 8s chain is quite a bit wider than an 9s, for the 9s cogset spacing. Get a 9s chain.
 

OldGoat

New Member
Nov 13, 2006
390
4
18
gclark8 said:
No.

You need a 9 speed chain with a 9 speed cassette.

The front will be ok. ;)
Agree. Get a 9-speed chain. Also, suggest you get a Wippermann Connex link (the 9-speed size) to join the chain so that you can easily (without tools!) remove, clean and reinstall the chain. If you do get a Connex link, read the directions to be sure you install it correctly, as it will skip on the small rear cog if installed upside down.
 

::dom::

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
789
4
0
OldGoat said:
Agree. Get a 9-speed chain. Also, suggest you get a Wippermann Connex link (the 9-speed size) to join the chain so that you can easily (without tools!) remove, clean and reinstall the chain. If you do get a Connex link, read the directions to be sure you install it correctly, as it will skip on the small rear cog if installed upside down.
Thanks guys. I'm using the 8sp chain on the new 9sp Sora group (which is surprisingly good) and it works fine. Before everyone starts screaming "No!"... it's only a temporary measure as I can't get a 9sp chain and will have to wait a few weeks 'til I get to a bike shop when I go to Sydney.
 
Jun 6, 2006
1,696
6
38
I once thought I had a maintenance issue because I had the cassette and chain swapped out, and when I got it back the bike could be set to either upshift or downshift well but not both. I now believe that since 9sp chain was used in place of 8sp, the cage was too narrow to properly push the chain both ways. Have not tested my theory though.
 

Similar threads