8sp campag cogs on 10sp spline - have you done this?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by MattAussie66, Feb 9, 2007.

1. MattAussie66

MattAussie66 New Member

I know that in theory, if you can find a 10 speed cassete with loose cogs and
    a bunch of spacers you can make up an 8 speed cassette that would fit a
    10 speed spline.

But.... has anyone out there done this? any ideas where I can get loose 10sp cogs?
    Was it fiddlie? any problems or traps?

thanks,
    Matthew

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

Any Campagnolo Veloce or Miche cassette will be loose cog. You can get the proper spacers from Wheels Manufacturing in the US. I don't know about a euro or Au supplier. With the proper spacers, it should work fine.

3. mark higgins

mark higgins New Member

The only problem is that the lock ring of an 8 speed cassette will not fit a 10 speed freeehub body. As long as you get a 10 speed lockring you can match sprockets from one of the cheaper casettes as long as you get the correct spacers. I think Royce and HED supply spacer kits if you need them.

4. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

Most of the 10spd Campag cassettes (and I think all the ones currently available) have paired sprockets for the bottom couple of sprockets. 10spd sprockets are a lot thinnner than 8spd, so just fitting 8spd spacers with 10spd sprockets won't work.
    If you want to try it though, I've got a brand new 12-26 10spd Campag cassette which is all loose sprockets. pm me if you want to do a deal.

5. stansman

stansman New Member

Here's one solution that will work.

Mavic Cassette:
    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Cassette+Kit+10+Cogs&vendorCode=MAVIC&major=1&minor=10

Mavic Spacers:
    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Spacer+kit+for+8sp+Campy+Cassette&vendorCode=MAVIC&major=1&minor=10

Pretty expensive though...I assume you could use these spacers with other 9 or 10 sp cassettes with loose cogs.
    Don't take my word on any of this though, I don't use campy. I just remembered seeing this stuff on excel.