8sp campag cogs on 10sp spline - have you done this?

MattAussie66

Oct 12, 2004
I know that in theory, if you can find a 10 speed cassete with loose cogs and
a bunch of spacers you can make up an 8 speed cassette that would fit a
10 speed spline.

But.... has anyone out there done this? any ideas where I can get loose 10sp cogs?
Was it fiddlie? any problems or traps?

thanks,
Matthew

MattAussie66 said:
I know that in theory, if you can find a 10 speed cassete with loose cogs and
a bunch of spacers you can make up an 8 speed cassette that would fit a
10 speed spline.

But.... has anyone out there done this? any ideas where I can get loose 10sp cogs?
Was it fiddlie? any problems or traps?

thanks,
Matthew

Any Campagnolo Veloce or Miche cassette will be loose cog. You can get the proper spacers from Wheels Manufacturing in the US. I don't know about a euro or Au supplier. With the proper spacers, it should work fine.

The only problem is that the lock ring of an 8 speed cassette will not fit a 10 speed freeehub body. As long as you get a 10 speed lockring you can match sprockets from one of the cheaper casettes as long as you get the correct spacers. I think Royce and HED supply spacer kits if you need them.

mark higgins said:
The only problem is that the lock ring of an 8 speed cassette will not fit a 10 speed freeehub body. As long as you get a 10 speed lockring you can match sprockets from one of the cheaper casettes as long as you get the correct spacers. I think Royce and HED supply spacer kits if you need them.

Most of the 10spd Campag cassettes (and I think all the ones currently available) have paired sprockets for the bottom couple of sprockets. 10spd sprockets are a lot thinnner than 8spd, so just fitting 8spd spacers with 10spd sprockets won't work.
If you want to try it though, I've got a brand new 12-26 10spd Campag cassette which is all loose sprockets. pm me if you want to do a deal.

Here's one solution that will work.

Mavic Cassette:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Cassette+Kit+10+Cogs&vendorCode=MAVIC&major=1&minor=10

Mavic Spacers:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Spacer+kit+for+8sp+Campy+Cassette&vendorCode=MAVIC&major=1&minor=10

Pretty expensive though...I assume you could use these spacers with other 9 or 10 sp cassettes with loose cogs.
Don't take my word on any of this though, I don't use campy. I just remembered seeing this stuff on excel.