8sp Dura Ace to 9sp STI?

Matt O'Toole

Guest
I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
> that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
> new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
> different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?
>
> Matt O.

I believe that a new rear derailleur is needed too. (and as you said
STI, cassette and chain)

If you can find on ebay some 8sp DA STIs they work quite well and you
won't need to change other stuffs.

Francesco

Matt says-<< I'm asking this for a friend. >><BR><BR>

Friends don't let friends use shimano->;-l)-

Matt then asks-<< He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and
new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?

Matt O.

If he wants a 9s cogset, right STI lever, 9s cogset, 9s chain and any shimano
rear der OTHER than DA 8s...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
> that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
> new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
> different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?
>
> Matt O.

8sp DA shifters have the same cablepull as 9-speed. If you don't mind
using your existing wheels and 8 speeds all you need is a pair of 9 sp
STI shifters.
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:19:15 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech you wrote:

>I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
>that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
>new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
>different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?

I think if he uses the new 9sp DA STI shifters with the 8sp DA rear
derailleur, he'll shift the existing 8sp cassette fine.

Matt O'Toole asked:

>>I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
>>that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
>>new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
>>different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?

Marten Gerritsen replied:

> 8sp DA shifters have the same cablepull as 9-speed. If you don't mind
> using your existing wheels and 8 speeds all you need is a pair of 9 sp
> STI shifters.

Nope, that's NOT all he needs. He will also need new handlebar tape!

Make sure to use 9-speed compatible handlebar tape...

Otherwise, Marten is correct.

See also: http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace

Sheldon "Just The Essentials" Brown
| I’m currently appearing in: |
| Gilbert & Sullivan's Iolanthe at M.I.T. |
| November 12, 13, 14 and 18, 19, 20, 21 |
| http://web.mit.edu/gsp/www |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Matt O'Toole asked:
> >
> >>I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
> >>that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
> >>new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
> >>different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?
> >>

> Marten Gerritsen replied:
> >
> > 8sp DA shifters have the same cablepull as 9-speed. If you don't mind
> > using your existing wheels and 8 speeds all you need is a pair of 9 sp
> > STI shifters.

> Nope, that's NOT all he needs. He will also need new handlebar tape!
>
> Make sure to use 9-speed compatible handlebar tape...
>
> Otherwise, Marten is correct.
>
> See also: http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace
>
> Sheldon "Just The Essentials" Brown

New tape is luxury, the old barclamp will work just fine, and i've never
noticed much difference in the routing of the brakecable housing.

But I'm sure we can agree on new cable-caps ;)
--
---
Marten

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:58:14 +0100, Francesco Devittori
<frenkatfrenkdtcm> wrote:

>If you can find on ebay some 8sp DA STIs they work quite well and you
>won't need to change other stuffs.

There was a set of Dura Ace 8-speed STI levers for sale on r.b.m just
last Friday. See:

http://tinyurl.com/3ncp7

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
> that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
> new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
> different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?
>
> Matt O.

All he needs is the STI shifters. The amount of cable pull and
retraction for each shift on 8-sp Dura Ace is exactly the same as 9
speed systems. As long as he keeps his rear derailleur he can use the
same 8 speed casstte.

I have done this conversion myself.

Tom

I have two bikes that are relevant:
-one with 9-speed down-tube shifters, 9-speed DA chain and cassette
-the other with 9-speed brifters, 9-speed chain and cassette
Both have 8-speed DA rear der, both have shifted just fine for several years.

Steve Scarich

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I'm asking this for a friend. He has an 8sp DA bike with downtube shifters,
> that he wants to convert to STI. I wonder if all he needs is 9sp shifters and a
> new cassette and chain. But I know older DA is oddball, the derailers having a
> different cable pull or something. What's the scoop?

He'll need a different rear derailleur. I wouldn't waste money on 9spd
STI brifters. They tend to break unexpectedly. Have him go Campy
Chorus/Record brifters with a shiftmate. Much nicer setup. In the last
month, I've lost a right and a friend of a friend lost a left brifter.

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71