8sp STI to 9 speed STI.... can you?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crystal, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    Hi all... I have a Dura Ace 8sp STI kit on my 8 year old bike. The levers are starting to get shot,
    so I was considering going for a 9sp "kit upgrade" sold by the likes of Excel, Performance et al.
    Also due to the fact that 10 speed will come out next year and the 9 speed will be pretty cheap to
    buy as they liquidate stock...

    Question: Will I need to change my hub to accept the new 9sp cassette? Do I also need new
    chainrings?

    The kit includes shifters, derailleur, chain and cassette... is that it or will I have surprises?

    Thanks Crystal

    Tags:

  2. Crystal-<< I have a Dura Ace 8sp STI kit on my 8 year old bike. The levers are starting to get shot,
    so I was considering going for a 9sp "kit upgrade"
    >><BR><BR>
    << Question: Will I need to change my hub to accept the new 9sp cassette? Do I also need new
    chainrings? >><BR><BR>

    no and no....

    << The kit includes shifters, derailleur, chain and cassette... is that it or will I have surprises?
    >><BR><BR>

    Nope but a suggestion, upgrade to Campagnolo 10s shifters and rear der...get a shimano 9s casette
    and chain-no more 'levers are shot' w/o being able to repair them.

    Prices of Chorus and DA are equivalent in price.

  3. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:00:41 -0400, "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all... I have a Dura Ace 8sp STI kit on my 8 year old bike. The levers are starting to get shot,
    >so I was considering going for a 9sp "kit upgrade" sold by the likes of Excel, Performance et al.
    >Also due to the fact that 10 speed will come out next year and the 9 speed will be pretty cheap to
    >buy as they liquidate stock...
    >
    >Question: Will I need to change my hub to accept the new 9sp cassette? Do I also need new
    >chainrings?
    >
    >The kit includes shifters, derailleur, chain and cassette... is that it or will I have surprises?

    I've done this exact upgrade myself. No surprises!

    BTW, the kit should include cables, included with the shifters.

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    In your case, you only need get any Shimano 9sp shifters. Your existing DA rear derailleur will
    shift the 8sp cassettes you currently have. When you need to spend more $, you can get any other
    Shimano rear derailleur and the 9sp cassette and chain. The 9sp cassette will mount fine on your
    existing hub.

  5. "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all... I have a Dura Ace 8sp STI kit on my 8 year old bike. The levers are starting to get
    > shot, so I was considering going for a 9sp "kit upgrade" sold by the likes of Excel, Performance
    > et al. Also due to the fact that 10 speed will come out next year and the 9 speed will be pretty
    > cheap to buy as they liquidate stock...
    >
    > Question: Will I need to change my hub to accept the new 9sp cassette? Do I also need new
    > chainrings?
    >
    > The kit includes shifters, derailleur, chain and cassette... is that it or will I have surprises?

    This is just an option. Since you have Dura Ace you can replace only the shifters with any 9 speed
    models. It just so happens that Dura Ace 8 speed shifters have the same amount of cable pull as all
    the 9 speed Shimano systems. Not the case with the other 8 speed Shimano groups. That would save you
    the cost of a complete 9 speed upgrade.

    I have done the opposite, used 8 speed Dura Ace STI shifters to shift 8 of 9 cassette cogs.

    Tom

  6. Someone asked:

    >>... I have a Dura Ace 8sp STI kit on my 8 year old bike. The levers are starting to get shot, so I
    >>was considering going for a 9sp "kit upgrade" sold by the likes of Excel, Performance et al. Also
    >>due to the fact that 10 speed will come out next year and the 9 speed will be pretty cheap to buy
    >>as they liquidate stock...
    >>
    >>Question: Will I need to change my hub to accept the new 9sp cassette?

    No, if your D-A hub is the Hyperglide type. The very first year of 9-speed (89?) they used Uniglide
    cassettes. If you've got one of those, you'd need a new Hyperglide Freehub body. Otherwise, you can
    use any Shimano cassette that doesn't include an 11 tooth sprocket.

    For more details, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

    and: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

    >>Do I also need new chainrings?

    No.

    There is a lot of confusion about the compatibility of narrow 9-speed chains with older cranksets.
    Shimano says you should replace the inner chainring(s) with specially designated 9-speed ones, but
    then they're all too eager to sell you stuff, whether you need it or not.

    Shimano is also concerned about clueless users. The worst-case scenario is that you will be riding
    along with the bike in its highest gear (large front, small rear) and then for some bizarre reason
    shift down in front before downshifting in the back. (There is no shift pattern in which it is
    reasonable to shift in this sequence.) If you _do_ shift this way, there's a small chance that the
    chain might "skate" over the edges of the teeth for maybe half a turn.

    In practice this "problem" almost never materializes. Many, many cyclists are using 9-speed chains
    with older cranksets and having no problems whatever.

    My advice is to go ahead and upgrade your drivetrain, but leave the crankset alone until you've
    tried it out with the new chain. Most likely, you don't need to do anything to it.

    >>The kit includes shifters, derailleur, chain and cassette... is that it or will I have surprises?

    Yep, handlebar tape!

    Thomas Reynolds wrote:

    > This is just an option. Since you have Dura Ace you can replace only the shifters with any 9 speed
    > models. It just so happens that Dura Ace 8 speed shifters have the same amount of cable pull as
    > all the 9 speed Shimano systems. Not the case with the other 8 speed Shimano groups. That would
    > save you the cost of a complete 9 speed upgrade.

    That is correct, and is a reasonable option if your present chain and cassette are in unworn
    condition, or you want to save a few bucks.

    Sheldon "Interchangeabilitude" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog | and order on line: |
    | http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  7. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all... I have a Dura Ace 8sp STI kit on my 8 year old bike. The levers are starting to get
    > shot, so I was considering going for a 9sp "kit upgrade" sold by the likes of Excel, Performance
    > et al. Also due to the fact that 10 speed will come out next year and the 9 speed will be pretty
    > cheap to buy as they liquidate stock...

    I hear the DA8 STI are bombproof. Maybe you can spend $2 for a can of WD-40 and flush out the
    gunk and get a few more years out of them. Also, new cables and housing do wonders to curing
    poor shifting.

    If you insist in getting the 9 speeds stuff, I think I have the 20% off coupon code that
    Performancebike has sent me. Email me private and I shall provide.