Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?
Morgan
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?
Morgan
Morgan Fletcher said:Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?
No, you can't. The splines on an 8-speed are not deep enough, and they will cut into a 9-speed
freehub body. 8-speed hub bodies are steel, 9-speed are aluminum.
You might be able to get away with using 8 cogs off of a 9-speed cassette, and spacers from an
8-speed. You will need extra shims as well, since the cogs themselves are a bit thinner.
But why do this?
--
David L. Johnson
__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |
"Morgan Fletcher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub?
Sure can. The 8 speed cogs slide right on.
Quoted message said:Any gotchas?
You bet there are. Because the 8 speed cogs are designed to go on a steel freehub, the splines
aren't nearly as deep as the 9 speed ones, so when you pedal hard, they'll turn and dig in to the
aluminium. Makes it difficult to get them off, and pretty much stuffs the freehub.
Regards,
Suzy
--
---
Suzy Jackson [email hidden] suzyj.netsuzyj.netOpen ↗
morgan-<< Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?
Alstho they will lide on, the steel cogs don't grab a lot of metal of the aluminum freehub, not a
good idea. I would get loose 9s cogs and space to 8s with either black Campagnolo 8s spacers or red
Wheels spacers.
Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.comOpen ↗ "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.