8spd cogs on 9spd campy freehub?

Status

Morgan Fletcher

Guest
Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

Morgan

David L. Johnso

Guest
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:37:15 -0500, Morgan Fletcher wrote:

> Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

No, you can't. The splines on an 8-speed are not deep enough, and they will cut into a 9-speed
freehub body. 8-speed hub bodies are steel, 9-speed are aluminum.

You might be able to get away with using 8 cogs off of a 9-speed cassette, and spacers from an
8-speed. You will need extra shims as well, since the cogs themselves are a bit thinner.

But why do this?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Suzy Jackson

Guest
"Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub?

Sure can. The 8 speed cogs slide right on.

> Any gotchas?

You bet there are. Because the 8 speed cogs are designed to go on a steel freehub, the splines
aren't nearly as deep as the 9 speed ones, so when you pedal hard, they'll turn and dig in to the
aluminium. Makes it difficult to get them off, and pretty much stuffs the freehub.

Regards,

Suzy

--
---
Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
morgan-<< Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

Alstho they will lide on, the steel cogs don't grab a lot of metal of the aluminum freehub, not a
good idea. I would get loose 9s cogs and space to 8s with either black Campagnolo 8s spacers or red
Wheels spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.