8spd cogs on 9spd campy freehub?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Morgan Fletcher, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

    Morgan

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:37:15 -0500, Morgan Fletcher wrote:

    > Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

    No, you can't. The splines on an 8-speed are not deep enough, and they will cut into a 9-speed
    freehub body. 8-speed hub bodies are steel, 9-speed are aluminum.

    You might be able to get away with using 8 cogs off of a 9-speed cassette, and spacers from an
    8-speed. You will need extra shims as well, since the cogs themselves are a bit thinner.

    But why do this?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

  3. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub?

    Sure can. The 8 speed cogs slide right on.

    > Any gotchas?

    You bet there are. Because the 8 speed cogs are designed to go on a steel freehub, the splines
    aren't nearly as deep as the 9 speed ones, so when you pedal hard, they'll turn and dig in to the
    aluminium. Makes it difficult to get them off, and pretty much stuffs the freehub.

    Regards,

    Suzy

    --
    ---
    Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

  4. morgan-<< Can I run an 8spd cogset on a 9spd-era Campagnolo freehub? Any gotchas?

    Alstho they will lide on, the steel cogs don't grab a lot of metal of the aluminum freehub, not a
    good idea. I would get loose 9s cogs and space to 8s with either black Campagnolo 8s spacers or red
    Wheels spacers.