8spd freewheel compatable with 7spd freewheel

bonell

Dec 4, 2005
I have a HED disc wheel with a screw on 7spd freewheel, Is it possible to remove the 7spd and put an 8spd screw on freewheel? Will there be problems with dishing? It seams that the disc is symetrical on both sides. that is both sides are the same.

bonell said:
I have a HED disc wheel with a screw on 7spd freewheel, Is it possible to remove the 7spd and put an 8spd screw on freewheel? Will there be problems with dishing? It seams that the disc is symetrical on both sides. that is both sides are the same.

8-speed freewheels are pretty rare but they are available. As far as I know they (and also 8-speed cassettes) were only ever suitable for bikes with 130mm spacing and most 7-speeds went on 126mm bikes so your real issue might be the bike and not the wheel.

Freewheels have nothing to do with wheel dish.

DiabloScott said:
8-speed freewheels are pretty rare but they are available. As far as I know they (and also 8-speed cassettes) were only ever suitable for bikes with 130mm spacing and most 7-speeds went on 126mm bikes so your real issue might be the bike and not the wheel.

Freewheels have nothing to do with wheel dish.[/QUOTE]

Couldya clarify that one, please??

Ozark Bicycle said:
DiabloScott said:

Freewheels have nothing to do with wheel dish.[/QUOTE]

Couldya clarify that one, please??

Dish puts the rim centered between the lock nuts on the hub, and the locknuts are set by the dropout spacing on your frame. 8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes require the same OLN dimension. 6 and 7 speed freewheels require the same OLN dimension. Obviously wheels built for 130mm spacing have more severe dish than those built for 126 or 120mm - regardless of what size freewheel or cassette you use.

Make a SS or fixed gear and you'll have to change some spacers around for chainline purposes and that will require a redish because the locknuts to rim relationship has changed- not because you changed how many gears you're running.

Clear?

DiabloScott said:
Dish puts the rim centered between the lock nuts on the hub, and the locknuts are set by the dropout spacing on your frame. 8, 9, and 10 speed cassettes require the same OLN dimension. 6 and 7 speed freewheels require the same OLN dimension. Obviously wheels built for 130mm spacing have more severe dish than those built for 126 or 120mm - regardless of what size freewheel or cassette you use.

Make a SS or fixed gear and you'll have to change some spacers around for chainline purposes and that will require a redish because the locknuts to rim relationship has changed- not because you changed how many gears you're running.

Clear?
In the earlier post, it seemed you were saying an 8sp FW used the same alignment ("dish") as a 7sp; were you saying that?

Ozark Bicycle said:
In the earlier post, it seemed you were saying an 8sp FW used the same alignment ("dish") as a 7sp; were you saying that?

Here's what I said:

As far as I know they (8-speed freewheels) (and also 8-speed cassettes) were only ever suitable for bikes with 130mm spacing and most 7-speeds went on 126mm bikes

If you put a 7-speed freewheel on a wheel that was built for an 8-speed freewheel for a bike with 130mm spacing, there's no need to redish. I don't know of any 8-speed freewheels or cassettes that were designed for less than 130mm. I do know of some tandems that have wider spacing and the same rule applies...I repeat: dish is set by OLN dimension and relationship to the rim - everything else follows from that.

DiabloScott said:
Here's what I said:

As far as I know they (8-speed freewheels) (and also 8-speed cassettes) were only ever suitable for bikes with 130mm spacing and most 7-speeds went on 126mm bikes

If you put a 7-speed freewheel on a wheel that was built for an 8-speed freewheel for a bike with 130mm spacing, there's no need to redish. I don't know of any 8-speed freewheels or cassettes that were designed for less than 130mm. I do know of some tandems that have wider spacing and the same rule applies...I repeat: dish is set by OLN dimension and relationship to the rim - everything else follows from that.
Geez, the OP was asking about putting an 8sp FW on a wheel aligned and spaced for a 7sp FW. Would he need to change the dish, the OLD, etc. or not?? Of course, an 8sp could be put on a 126mm axle, but it's hardly a good idea. And it would require a re-alignment, eh? Why the dither on this?

Well the disc wheel axle is for 130mm bike plus the frame (salsa el gogo TT frame) spacing is also 130mm. There is about 5cm from the frame to the hub on both sides, I have checked my other bike (giant TCR) which is fitted with 9/10spd and the distance from the frame to the hub on the cassette side is also around 5 cm, so technically speaking I can also fit a 9/10 spd freewheel if ever available.

DiabloScott said:

Freewheels have nothing to do with wheel dish.

Ozark Bicycle said:
Geez, the OP was asking about putting an 8sp FW on a wheel aligned and spaced for a 7sp FW. Would he need to change the dish, the OLD, etc. or not?? Of course, an 8sp could be put on a 126mm axle, but it's hardly a good idea. And it would require a re-alignment, eh? Why the dither on this?

Your question implied I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not dithering, I'm just being specific. There is no such thing as "aligned and spaced for a 7sp FW": for any specific hub/rim combo there is dish for 126mm and dish for 130mm etc.

Bonell the OP said nothing about changing his OLD. We now know he has a 7sp FW on a wheel dished for 130mm and a bike spaced for a 130mm wheel. He can swap an 8sp FW with no dish change. And he's right - he could put on a hypothetical 9 or 10sp FW on the same wheel with no re-dish. FWs have nothing to do with dish, as I said.

bonell said:
Well the disc wheel axle is for 130mm bike plus the frame (salsa el gogo TT frame) spacing is also 130mm. There is about 5cm from the frame to the hub on both sides, I have checked my other bike (giant TCR) which is fitted with 9/10spd and the distance from the frame to the hub on the cassette side is also around 5 cm, so technically speaking I can also fit a 9/10 spd freewheel if ever available.

The issue will be whether the 8s freewheel will fit in the distance between the freewheel threads on the hub and the driveside frame dropout. I know from experience that on an American Classic rear freewheel hub spaced for 130mm dropouts that a 7s Sachs freewheel fit but the 8s does not--the small cog hit the dropout. Maybe the HED wheels are different.

John M said:
The issue will be whether the 8s freewheel will fit in the distance between the freewheel threads on the hub and the driveside frame dropout. I know from experience that on an American Classic rear freewheel hub spaced for 130mm dropouts that a 7s Sachs freewheel fit but the 8s does not--the small cog hit the dropout. Maybe the HED wheels are different.

That's bike specific of course, may or may not apply to our OP.

Couldn't you fix that by moving a spacer to shift the hub a little to the left? That WOULD require a redish but it would probably only be a couple mm.

DiabloScott said:
That's bike specific of course, may or may not apply to our OP.

Couldn't you fix that by moving a spacer to shift the hub a little to the left? That WOULD require a redish but it would probably only be a couple mm.
Agreed on both points. I was using a Kestrel frame with its rather fat carbon seat stay that was too close to the 12T cog of the 8s freewheel. As you may know, the AC hubs don't use a standard axle with spacers but rather end caps that fit over the axle ends that determine the OLD. I suppose I could have tried to use a different set of end-caps and redish the wheel. But this was for a TT rear wheel and 7s was sufficient.