8spd mtb cassette on 7spd freehub?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Will an 8 speed Acera/Alivio cassette
    fit onto a 7 speed AceraX freehub?
    i.e. is it not too wide?

    Forgetting the width for a second, will
    a single cog from the 8spd cassette fit
    onto the freehub?
    i.e. Do the "bumps and grooves" on
    the inside of the 8spd cog match those
    on the outside of the 7spd freehub?

    Has the bottom bracket size changed
    from the AceraX groupset to the
    Acera/Alivio groupset?
    I think ~1996 Shimano versus 2000.

    cheers
    hippy

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon Brown has a lot of stuff on his site about cassettes
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

    Spacing and cog width is covered for many options.

    Regards, Maurie
    =================================

  3. "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Will an 8 speed Acera/Alivio cassette
    > fit onto a 7 speed AceraX freehub?
    > i.e. is it not too wide?

    No, it's too wide, so it won't fit. Eight sprockets from a 9-speed cassette
    will fit perfectly, but an eight speed cassette will overhang the end of
    the freehub. Seven eighths of an 8-speed cassette will also fit, but you
    may need to use a thin spacer to allow the lockring to engage properly.

    > Forgetting the width for a second, will
    > a single cog from the 8spd cassette fit
    > onto the freehub?
    > i.e. Do the "bumps and grooves" on
    > the inside of the 8spd cog match those
    > on the outside of the 7spd freehub?

    Yes. The spline pattern is common to nearly all Shimano hubs made in the
    last dozen years, 7-, 8-, or 9-speed.

    > Has the bottom bracket size changed
    > from the AceraX groupset to the
    > Acera/Alivio groupset?
    > I think ~1996 Shimano versus 2000.

    Sorry, I don't know.

    James Thomson

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Check out Sheldon Brown pages, you may be able to transplant the
    freehub body to an eight, you may also need to adjust the frame for the
    extra clearance. I transplanted a 7speed Uniglide body for 7 speed
    hyperglide one recently. Not a difficult job for one who is happy
    weilding large wrenches. I have often replaced single sprockets on my
    1989 7-speed cassette with new ones which I presume are aimed at 8 or
    nine speed cassettes. I intend to do what the other poster said, that
    is fit 8 of the nine sprockets from a 9 speed cassette, use a nine
    speed chain and shifter. I have already checked and 8 from 9 will fit
    onto a 7 speed body and my frame (126mm drop out spacing) will
    accommodate it. I have the advantage then of cross compatibilty with my
    1999 Ultegra 9 speed bike.