8spd xtr cassettes

Belij3

Guest
I know the largest 5 cogs are mounted on a carrier. Can they be taken apart and function as
individual cogs with spacers? 12-32 steel 12-28 11-30 12-32

Belij3 wrote:

>I know the largest 5 cogs are mounted on a carrier. Can they be taken apart and function as
>individual cogs with spacers? 12-32 steel 12-28 11-30 12-32

No, the cogs won't work without their carrier, the carrier replaces the inner section of each cog.

Duncan Bourne

"Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I know the largest 5 cogs are mounted on a carrier. Can they be taken
apart and
> function as individual cogs with spacers? 12-32 steel 12-28 11-30 12-32

Look more closely. They would "function as individual cogs" in some manner I suppose (maybe wind
chimes??) but they won't engage the splines of your cassette body without the spider.

For a nice shifting light weight cassette, take a look at the SRAM stuff. We use a lot of them,
especially 9-speed on Phil cassettes in Campagnolo bikes. Cogs may all be mixed and matched for
custom gearing as there is no spider.

The weight penalty, if that concerns you, is still there. All the below are nine speed 34t complete
with lockring* Spidered cassettes are 240g XTR* and 290g SRAM-9. Separate cog/ no spider models
range from SunRace 385g through LX 375g down to SRAM 7 at 325g. Not too much penalty and you get to
swap cog sizes if you wish. Cheaper too.

*I weighed all of them except the XTR which I did not have today, the 240g data is from the 2003
catalog. I chose 34t because I had a selection to weigh in that size.

>For a nice shifting light weight cassette, take a look at the SRAM stuff.

Are the width of the cogs and spacers the same size as the Shimano cogs? Can you mix with Shimano
cassettes to get a 13 or 14 1st gear cog? Another reason for the question. Shimano 8 speed cogs +
Campy 9 speed spacers will give almost exact Campy spacing for 9 speed. The Sram cassette that I
have has a carbon spider.I had not considered it though, so I have not checked to see if it can be
taken apart.

>Look more closely

I would have to buy to "look", thus the answer saved me the money. Thanks, B

> >For a nice shifting light weight cassette, take a look at the SRAM stuff.

"Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Are the width of the cogs and spacers the same size as the Shimano cogs?
Can
> you mix with Shimano cassettes to get a 13 or 14 1st gear cog? Another reason for the question.
> Shimano 8 speed cogs + Campy 9 speed
spacers
> will give almost exact Campy spacing for 9 speed. The Sram cassette that I
have
> has a carbon spider.I had not considered it though, so I have not checked
> see if it can be taken apart.

The SRAM 7.0 and an LX are both 1.85mm thick