9/10 speed compatibility and other stuff

Scott - now that you've been riding the 10-sp 6750 crank for a while with a 9-sp chain & cassette, I'd love to know if you'd recommend it? Would you solve the "get a compact crank for a 9-sp bike" problem the same way again? (it so happens I have the same Giant TCR frame)

randy parker said:
Scott - now that you've been riding the 10-sp 6750 crank for a while with a 9-sp chain & cassette, I'd love to know if you'd recommend it?  Would you solve the "get a compact crank for a 9-sp bike" problem the same way again?  (it so happens I have the same Giant TCR frame)
It'll work just fine.

Originally Posted by randy parker .

Scott - now that you've been riding the 10-sp 6750 crank for a while with a 9-sp chain & cassette, I'd love to know if you'd recommend it? Would you solve the "get a compact crank for a 9-sp bike" problem the same way again? (it so happens I have the same Giant TCR frame)
Yes, everything worked out perfectly. Taking off the old octalink BB & fitting the new set went on easily and without a hitch. In saying that, I couldn't get my pedals off the old cranks. I tried soaking in WD40 for a few days. I even used a rattle gun. They just wouldnt budge. (I know RHT / LHT from the inside out) Although I havent tried again for a few months, any suggestions?

I definitely would do the same again. Maybe I'm bias but I love the way Ultegra gear performs. It is high quality. Other than using cheaper brands to save a few bucks I dont believe there is an alternative.

My daily commute through the 'burbs is moderately lumpy, 900 metre total ascent. Riding with the compact has been great. I'm in the big ring much more, I don't run out of gears and I reckon my times are lower due to better cadence.

I have a 12-27 cassette on the back. Maybe next replacement might be a 11-28, not sure though. Sometimes I feel the 12-27 has too big a steps, the 11-28 will be worse.

I am going to ride in the French Alpes next month. I got a XT M770 9 speed 11-32 and a 10 tooth top jockey wheel. Mr. Shimano says it can't be done but providing you cut your chain perfectly & adjust your B screw correctly, all is good. I will have 34 / 32. When I get home I will revert back and save this cassette for special times.

If you don't ride like Wiggo and a have a couple of hundred dollars to blow, go for it. You won't regret it.

Scott2468 said:
Yes, everything worked out perfectly. Taking off the old octalink BB & fitting the new set went on easily and without a hitch. In saying that, I couldn't get my pedals off the old cranks. I tried soaking in WD40 for a few days. I even used a rattle gun. They just wouldnt budge. (I know RHT / LHT from the inside out) Although I havent tried again for a few months, any suggestions?
I don't think WD40 is suited for removing stuck threaded things. Instead I'd suggest trying something like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster (there are other similar products). Using those, you may still need to apply them several times over a span of a few days. Maybe not. In any case, the best way to avoid this happening is by lubing the pedal threads before mounting a pedal on a crank arm. I lube every threaded thing on my bike.

If you haven't solved the stuck pedal problem, heat will do it. you want to heat the female threaded part (the crank arm) with a torch fairly quickly as you want it to start to expand before the male threaded part can heat up and expand with it. The aluminum crank arm can take a lot of heat so don't be shy, get it hot fast, then work quickly to remove the pedal before it heats up. A good blow with a hammer on the pedal wrench will work better than steadily increasing pressure. Good luck!