9 cogs on an 8 speed hub?

Scott

Guest
Techtards:

I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it as
a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a 9-speed
cassette for the hub?

Thanks in advance. Scott

[email protected] (scott) wrote in news:e048ac47.0308190959.2bf05a67 @posting.google.com:
> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
> as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
> 9-speed cassette for the hub?

Shimano 8sp and 9sp road hubs are the same.

scott wrote:
> Techtards:
>
> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
> as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
> 9-speed cassette for the hub?
>
> Thanks in advance. Scott

I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the cassette ( SRAM) on
without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that wobbled, not the LBS ;) Anyhow he solved this
by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't figured out what this had to do with going from
eight to ninespeed though. Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an eight speed.

--
Perre

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:21:59 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> may have said:

>scott wrote:
>> Techtards:
>>
>> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
>> as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
>> 9-speed cassette for the hub?
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Scott
>
>I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the cassette ( SRAM) on
>without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that wobbled, not the LBS ;) Anyhow he solved
>this by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't figured out what this had to do with going
>from eight to ninespeed though. Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an
>eight speed.

Here's a possible explanation:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Skip down to the part on Hyperdrive-C; the early hubs were a bit different from the later ones.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:21:59 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> may have said:
>
>> scott wrote:
>>> Techtards:
>>>
>>> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
>>> as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
>>> 9-speed cassette for the hub?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance. Scott
>>
>> I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the cassette ( SRAM) on
>> without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that wobbled, not the LBS ;) Anyhow he solved
>> this by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't figured out what this had to do with going
>> from eight to ninespeed though. Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an
>> eight speed.
>
> Here's a possible explanation:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
>
> Skip down to the part on Hyperdrive-C; the early hubs were a bit different from the later ones.

Sounds plausible to me. I did go to an 11-31 SRAM cassette on a Rolf Vector Hybrid wheel.

--
Perre

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (scott) wrote in news:e048ac47.0308190959.2bf05a67 @posting.google.com:
> > I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
> > as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
> > 9-speed cassette for the hub?
>
> Shimano 8sp and 9sp road hubs are the same.

The freehubs are not the same. However, the casettes are interchangeable.

scott-<< I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to
use it as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
9-speed cassette for the hub? >><BR><BR>

Si.....

Not possible with Campy though...

"scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Techtards:
>
> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
> as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
> 9-speed cassette for the hub?
>
> Thanks in advance. Scott

basjan-<< Not possible with Campy though...
>><BR><BR>

Won't be possible with 2004 DA either-9 cogs onto the new 10s only freehub.