9 cogs on an 8 speed hub?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott

Scott Guest

Techtards:

I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it as
    a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a 9-speed
    cassette for the hub?

Thanks in advance. Scott

Tags:

2. Ken

Ken Guest

[email protected] (scott) wrote in news:e048ac47.0308190959.2bf05a67 @posting.google.com:
    > I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
    > as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
    > 9-speed cassette for the hub?

Shimano 8sp and 9sp road hubs are the same.

3. scott wrote:
    > Techtards:
    >
    > I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
    > as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
    >
    > Thanks in advance. Scott

I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the cassette ( SRAM) on
    without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that wobbled, not the LBS ;) Anyhow he solved this
    by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't figured out what this had to do with going from
    eight to ninespeed though. Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an eight speed.

--
    Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

4. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:21:59 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> may have said:

>scott wrote:
    >> Techtards:
    >>
    >> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
    >> as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
    >> 9-speed cassette for the hub?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance. Scott
    >
    >I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the cassette ( SRAM) on
    >without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that wobbled, not the LBS ;) Anyhow he solved
    >this by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't figured out what this had to do with going
    >from eight to ninespeed though. Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an
    >eight speed.

Here's a possible explanation:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Skip down to the part on Hyperdrive-C; the early hubs were a bit different from the later ones.

--
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

5. Werehatrack wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:21:59 GMT, "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> may have said:
    >
    >> scott wrote:
    >>> Techtards:
    >>>
    >>> I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
    >>> as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
    >>> 9-speed cassette for the hub?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance. Scott
    >>
    >> I did and it worked just fine. My LBS had a slight problem with getting the cassette ( SRAM) on
    >> without wobbling. It was of course the cassette that wobbled, not the LBS ;) Anyhow he solved
    >> this by mounting a thin shims first. I still haven't figured out what this had to do with going
    >> from eight to ninespeed though. Unless of course a ninespeed cassette builds thinner than an
    >> eight speed.
    >
    > Here's a possible explanation:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    >
    > Skip down to the part on Hyperdrive-C; the early hubs were a bit different from the later ones.

Sounds plausible to me. I did go to an 11-31 SRAM cassette on a Rolf Vector Hybrid wheel.

--
    Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

6. Tom Kunich

Tom Kunich Guest

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (scott) wrote in news:e048ac47.0308190959.2bf05a67 @posting.google.com:
    > > I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to use it
    > > as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
    > > 9-speed cassette for the hub?
    >
    > Shimano 8sp and 9sp road hubs are the same.

The freehubs are not the same. However, the casettes are interchangeable.

7. scott-<< I have a 1995-era Shimano Dura-Ace rear hub which was originally 8-speed. I would like to
    use it as a commute wheel on my 2003 Serotta, which has Shimano 9-speed shifters. Can I simply buy a
    9-speed cassette for the hub? >><BR><BR>

Si.....

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

8. Basjan

Basjan Guest

Not possible with Campy though...

"scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Techtards:
    >
    >
    > Thanks in advance. Scott

9. basjan-<< Not possible with Campy though...
    >><BR><BR>

Won't be possible with 2004 DA either-9 cogs onto the new 10s only freehub.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.