9-sp chain necessary on TA Zephyr?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joseph Kubera, May 27, 2003.

  1. Hi, this is sort of the reverse of the touring-gear question asked earlier.

    I want to buy a new TA Zephyr triple crank because of the chainring options and
    110/74 bolt circle.

    However, I hear the recent versions of this have narrower chainrings for 9-sp use.

    I will only have a 7-sp rear because I have some cool old derailleurs I want to use, and yes, it
    will be friction.

    111) Would an 8-sp chain actually work on the modern Zephyr setup?
    112) Would a 9-sp chain give me worse shifting on the 7 rear cogs, and would it mesh poorly with
    the old derailleur's pulleys?
    113) Is the best solution just to get the Zephyr arms only, and separate chainrings of the earlier
    thickness?

    Somebody also mentioned using washers to adapt 9-sp front rings to 8-sp. (I think), but why would
    that help? The teeth would still be just as narrow.

    Yes, I know nearly everybody says to just donate that old stuff to a museum and get with the
    program, but please bear with me here.

    Thanks! Joe

    Tags:

  2. kuber-<< I want to buy a new TA Zephyr triple crank because of the chainring options and
    110/74 bolt circle.

    << However, I hear the recent versions of this have narrower chainrings for 9-sp use.

    No big deal, use a 7/8s chain like a Sram PC-48 w/o problem...

    No need to use a more expensive 9s chain, altho with friction, it'll work,,,

    << Somebody also mentioned using washers to adapt 9-sp front rings to 8-sp. (I think), but why would
    that help? The teeth would still be just as narrow.

    Some chainrings are closer together for 9s, but the ring thickness, etc is the same for 8s and
    9s(and even 10s, BTW)...

    No need for spacers either-just put it on

    (111)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    [email protected] (Joseph Kubera) brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    > Hi, this is sort of the reverse of the touring-gear question asked earlier.
    >
    > I want to buy a new TA Zephyr triple crank because of the chainring options and 110/74
    > bolt circle.

    Please let us know if you find a supplier : can't a zephyr here in Germany. I've been told that
    they're discontinued.

    --
    Walter Mitty.

  4. >Please let us know if you find a supplier : can't a zephyr here in Germany. I've been told that
    >they're discontinued.

    Walter,

    Try the following:

    In USA, www.rivendellbicycles.com www.peterwhitecycles.com

    In UK, www.sjscycles.com

    Best, Joe

  5. Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Please let us know if you find a supplier : can't a zephyr here in Germany. I've been told that
    > they're discontinued.

    I bought a new set from http://www.xxcycle.com/ only 2 months ago. They don't seem to be listing
    them anymore but you could try emailing them.

    Bruce Dickson

    ---
    Everyone wants to climb on a 900 gram frameset, but nobody wants to descend on one. Ernesto Colnago