9 speed/11 speed hubs the same?

rwe2156

Jun 23, 2006
Hello my 105 rear hub blew 2 sprockets holes out. It is a 36 hole old style (FH5505?) 105 9 speed.
I would like to replace it but all I can find in 36H are 11 speeds.
Can I swap them?

You can install a 9-speed cassette on the 11-speed freehub body by using the included 1.8 MM thick spacer behind the cassette stack.

The 9-speed cassette is actually wider than the 10-speed cassette.

Hello my 105 rear hub blew 2 sprockets holes out. It is a 36 hole old style (FH5505?) 105 9 speed.
I would like to replace it but all I can find in 36H are 11 speeds.
Can I swap them?

You should be able to find a Shimano/-compatible 36h rear hub on eBay ...

The older Shimano ACERA hubs have longer axles designed for 135mm OLD dropouts and "compact" Freehub bodies which are designed for 7-speed Cassettes ...​

BUT, you can cannibalize the Freehub body & axles/etc. from your damaged 105 hub ...

Consult www.sheldonbrown.com to see how to remove the Freehub body ...

You will need Cone Wrenches + a 10mm Allen Wrench (with some added leverage!!).
The Freehub is much more easily removed when the hub is laced to a rim!​

You can install a 9-speed cassette on the 11-speed freehub body by using the included 1.8 MM thick spacer behind the cassette stack.

The 9-speed cassette is actually wider than the 10-speed cassette.
NB. Due to how the spider which holds the larger Cogs is now fabricated/machined, many of the more recent 10-speed Shimano Cassettes do not require the additional spacer.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-HB0003-04-ENG.pdf

Note: When installing a 10-gear cassette other than CS-4600 to FH-9000 / FH-6800, install the included 1.85 mm low spacer and the 1.0 mm spacer included with the cassette at the positions indicated in the illustration. For CS-4600, install only the 1.85 mm low spacer. (The 1.0 mm spacer is not necessary.)

No clue how the latest shimaNO 10-speed cassettes measure up, but the dealer manual for the latest 5800 series freehub is still saying the 1.85 MM or 1.85 MM + 1 MM spacer(s) is necessary. Guys have slap the 9-speed on the newer hub by using the spacer according to internet posts and LBS mechanic posts.