9-speed cassette options

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Flatlander, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Flatlander

    Flatlander Guest

    I'm going to be purchasing a new 9-speed cassette to replace an old 8-speed on my Mt. Bike. It looks
    like there are several options for min-max gear sizes. What is a good choice for general XC riding?
    The options for a Shinamo XT seem to be... 11-32, 11-34, 12-34. It seems like 11-34 would provide
    the most options. Thoughts?

    -FlatLander

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 27 Jun 2003 08:45:20 -0700, [email protected] (flatlander) wrote:

    > What is a good choice for general XC riding? The options for a Shinamo XT seem to be... 11-32,
    > 11-34, 12-34. It seems like 11-34 would provide the most options. Thoughts?

    What would you need the 11t cog for?

  3. B

    B Guest

    > What is a good choice for general XC riding?

    What are your front chainrings? B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  4. A shy person calling him/herself "flatlander" wrote:

    > I'm going to be purchasing a new 9-speed cassette to replace an old 8-speed on my Mt. Bike. It
    > looks like there are several options for min-max gear sizes. What is a good choice for general XC
    > riding? The options for a Shinamo XT seem to be... 11-32, 11-34, 12-34. It seems like 11-34 would
    > provide the most options. Thoughts?

    They all have the same number of options: 9. ;-)

    11-34 does provide the widest _range_ but the downside is that it also provides the widest
    intermediate jumps.

    If "flatlander" describes the actual terrain where you live/ride, you'd be better off with something
    tighter that would let you fine-tune your gearing in smaller jumps.

    The best way to go at this would be to start with a knowledge of the largest/smallest sizes on your
    present 8-speed cassette, then think about how you use it.

    Do you use the biggest rear sprocket a lot? Then maybe you could use something bigger for the
    tough climbs.

    Do you never use the biggest rear? Then you should go with something tighter.

    When you're going fast, do you sometimes wish you had a higher gear 'cause you can't keep up with
    the pedals? Then you need something smaller, like an 11, assuming you don't already have an 11.

    Sheldon "Insufficient Data" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | One measurement is worth 50 expert opinions | --Howard Sutherland |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  5. Bobqzzi

    Bobqzzi Guest

    On 27 Jun 2003 08:45:20 -0700, [email protected] (flatlander) wrote:

    >I'm going to be purchasing a new 9-speed cassette to replace an old 8-speed on my Mt. Bike. It
    >looks like there are several options for min-max gear sizes. What is a good choice for general XC
    >riding? The options for a Shinamo XT seem to be... 11-32, 11-34, 12-34. It seems like 11-34 would
    >provide the most options. Thoughts?
    >
    >-FlatLander

    As others have said, more info would result in more accurate answers. Shooting from the hip I'll
    assume you have something like 22/32/44 chainrings.

    If this is exclusively an off road machine, then the 11 really isn't of much use.

    If you run it on pavement with slick tires, tehn you will want the 11.

    My personal experieince is that a 22/32 or 22/34 is so low that I really can't use it on trails
    at all. I settled on a 12/27 cassette as the best option, and I'm one who usually requires very
    low gears. These will be listed as "road" cassettes, but don't be fooled, they will work just
    fine on your MTB.

    You didn't mention it, but I assume you know that you need different shifters to work with the 9
    speed cassette.

    Good lUck,

    Bob

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > A shy person calling him/herself "flatlander" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm going to be purchasing a new 9-speed cassette to replace an old 8-speed on my Mt. Bike. It
    > > looks like there are several options for min-max gear sizes. What is a good choice for general
    > > XC riding? The options for a Shinamo XT seem to be... 11-32, 11-34, 12-34. It seems like 11-34
    > > would provide the most options. Thoughts?
    >
    > They all have the same number of options: 9. ;-)
    >
    > 11-34 does provide the widest _range_ but the downside is that it also provides the widest
    > intermediate jumps.
    >
    > If "flatlander" describes the actual terrain where you live/ride, you'd be better off with
    > something tighter that would let you fine-tune your gearing in smaller jumps.
    >
    > The best way to go at this would be to start with a knowledge of the largest/smallest sizes on
    > your present 8-speed cassette, then think about how you use it.
    >
    > Do you use the biggest rear sprocket a lot? Then maybe you could use something bigger for the
    > tough climbs.
    >
    > Do you never use the biggest rear? Then you should go with something tighter.
    >
    > When you're going fast, do you sometimes wish you had a higher gear 'cause you can't keep up with
    > the pedals? Then you need something smaller, like an 11, assuming you don't already have an 11.

    I tell my customers to consider what is the biggest and smallest gear they might need. This can be
    determined experimentally (best) and with some introspection, possibley some experimentation. Then
    coordinate that with the available gearing and, of course, expert consultation.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]