9-speed cassette with 8-speed hub?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lynn Monsanto, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm sure this this a frequently asked question but bear with me ;-). I have a couple wheels with
    8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them. Is there any way to convert the
    hubs without rebuilding the wheels? The axle length is 130mm. My rear deraileur will handle the
    9-speed cassette so I'm hoping all I have to do is replace a shifter plus the chain and do something
    minor to the hubs (wishful thinking, I'm sure).

    Thanks, Lynn

    (Please respond to this list or monsanto at sun dot com.)

    Tags:

  2. >From: Lynn Monsanto [email protected]

    >I have a couple wheels with 8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them. Is
    >there any way to convert the hubs without rebuilding the wheels?

    No conversion or wheel rebuilding necessary; 8 and 9 speed both use the same hub. All you need is
    the 9 speed shifters and chain.

    George F. Johnson

  3. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I agree with George. I have an 8-speed DuraAce hub with a 9-speed Ultegra 12-27 cassette, in
    fact the rest of the components are Ultegra, and I've never had a problem since I got the bike 4
    years ago.

    "George F. Johnson" wrote:

    > >From: Lynn Monsanto [email protected]
    >
    > >I have a couple wheels with 8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them.
    > >Is there any way to convert the hubs without rebuilding the wheels?
    >
    > No conversion or wheel rebuilding necessary; 8 and 9 speed both use the same hub. All you need is
    > the 9 speed shifters and chain.
    >
    > George F. Johnson

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I'm sure this this a frequently asked question but bear with me ;-). I have a couple wheels with
    >8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them. Is there any way to convert the
    >hubs without rebuilding the wheels?

    As others have said, no conversion necessary, just take the 8 speed cassette off and install the 9
    speed cassette and ride off into the distance.

    jon isaacs

  5. Lynn-<< I have a couple wheels with 8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with
    them. Is there any way to convert the hubs without rebuilding the wheels?

    If the 8s DA hubs use a lockring(hyperglide, not uniglide) then any shimano 9s casette will fit onto
    w/o modification. If you are using an 11t first cog, then use a 1mm spacer first, then the
    casette(perhaps).

    If uniglide, you can install a DA 8/9s hyperglide freehub body on it.