9-speed cassette with 8-speed hub?

Lynn Monsanto

Guest
Hi all,

I'm sure this this a frequently asked question but bear with me ;-). I have a couple wheels with
8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them. Is there any way to convert the
hubs without rebuilding the wheels? The axle length is 130mm. My rear deraileur will handle the
9-speed cassette so I'm hoping all I have to do is replace a shifter plus the chain and do something
minor to the hubs (wishful thinking, I'm sure).

Thanks, Lynn

(Please respond to this list or monsanto at sun dot com.)

>From: Lynn Monsanto [email protected]

>I have a couple wheels with 8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them. Is
>there any way to convert the hubs without rebuilding the wheels?

No conversion or wheel rebuilding necessary; 8 and 9 speed both use the same hub. All you need is
the 9 speed shifters and chain.

George F. Johnson

I agree with George. I have an 8-speed DuraAce hub with a 9-speed Ultegra 12-27 cassette, in
fact the rest of the components are Ultegra, and I've never had a problem since I got the bike 4
years ago.

"George F. Johnson" wrote:

> >From: Lynn Monsanto [email protected]
>
> >I have a couple wheels with 8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them.
> >Is there any way to convert the hubs without rebuilding the wheels?
>
> No conversion or wheel rebuilding necessary; 8 and 9 speed both use the same hub. All you need is
> the 9 speed shifters and chain.
>
> George F. Johnson

>I'm sure this this a frequently asked question but bear with me ;-). I have a couple wheels with
>8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with them. Is there any way to convert the
>hubs without rebuilding the wheels?

As others have said, no conversion necessary, just take the 8 speed cassette off and install the 9
speed cassette and ride off into the distance.

jon isaacs

Lynn-<< I have a couple wheels with 8-speed DuraAce hubs and I want to use 9-speed cassettes with
them. Is there any way to convert the hubs without rebuilding the wheels?

If the 8s DA hubs use a lockring(hyperglide, not uniglide) then any shimano 9s casette will fit onto
w/o modification. If you are using an 11t first cog, then use a 1mm spacer first, then the
casette(perhaps).

If uniglide, you can install a DA 8/9s hyperglide freehub body on it.