9 speed chain on 8 speed system

Bicyclette

Guest
I just rebuilt my bike and wanted to get a new chain. I have a shimano 105 drive train from the 92-
93 time frame except for the cassette. The Front Derailleur is FD-1056, the chain wheels are SG B-53
and SG B-39, the cassette is Hyperglide 13-26 and the rear derailluer is Integrated 8-SIS. My
shifters are 8 speed also I believe. As I said, I have only replaced the Cassette so far from the
original 105 system.
1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?
2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed setup? I like the fact the
chain is thinner. Or should I get an 8 speed chain?
3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system?

There seems to be alot being written about compatibility out there, but it seems like, say for the
last 20 years, there is basically an 8 speed system and 9 speed system right?

eddie-<< 1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?

**Sure, a 13-26 8s cogset will work fine

2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed setup? I like the fact the
chain is thinner. Or should I get an 8 speed chain?

**A 9s chain may be too thin for a 8s index system that relies on the chain width to get it to the
selected cog, with no overshift ala friction. use a 8s chain with 8s spaced cogs.

3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system? >><BR><BR>

**Right shifter, cogset and chain, regardless of what certain mailorder places say ya need. As long
as nothing is worn out, you DO NOT need front, rear der, rings...

(4)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

bicyclette <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just rebuilt my bike and wanted to get a new chain. I have a shimano 105 drive train from the
> 92-93 time frame except for the cassette. The Front Derailleur is FD-1056, the chain wheels are SG
> B-53 and SG B-39, the cassette is Hyperglide 13-26 and the rear derailluer is Integrated 8-SIS. My
> shifters are 8 speed also I believe. As I said, I have only replaced the Cassette so far from the
> original 105 system.
> 1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?

Yes. Shimano says the biggest cog must be 27t or smaller. In reality, you can use a 28t or
maybe even 30t.

> 2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed setup?

It would probably work.

> I like the fact the chain is thinner.

Why?

> Or should I get an 8 speed chain?

That's what I do.

> 3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system?

See Peter's answer.

> There seems to be alot being written about compatibility out there, but it seems like, say for the
> last 20 years, there is basically an 8 speed system and 9 speed system right?

20 years? 7-10 speed systems have been common in that time frame.

dvt

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:07:08 -0500, bicyclette <[email protected]> may
have said:

>I just rebuilt my bike and wanted to get a new chain. I have a shimano 105 drive train from the 92-
>93 time frame except for the cassette. The Front Derailleur is FD-1056, the chain wheels are SG B-
>53 and SG B-39, the cassette is Hyperglide 13-26 and the rear derailluer is Integrated 8-SIS. My
>shifters are 8 speed also I believe. As I said, I have only replaced the Cassette so far from the
>original 105 system.
>1) Is that a cassette this system can handle?

It should, although you may have to take a little extra care in chain length matching and rear der
adjustment.

>2)Also is there any chance a 9 speed chain would work on this 8 speed setup? I like the fact the
> chain is thinner. Or should I get an 8 speed chain?

A 9 speed chain is thinner, yes...and your front der shifts by pushing on the side of the chain. If
the chain's thinner, it has to push farther to move the chain to the same point of relationship with
the next ring when upshifting. It may work worse than an 8 speed chain. It will not work
better...and it definitely costs more.

>3) What components to I have to replace to have a 9 speed system?

The cassette and the shifter, and if you don't already have it at that point, a 9s chain. (The
current der will work OK.)

>There seems to be alot being written about compatibility out there, but it seems like, say for the
>last 20 years, there is basically an 8 speed system and 9 speed system right?

8 speed, in its current form, doesn't go back 20 years. *Cassettes* in their current form don't, for
that matter. While 7/8 has a freehub length change, 8/9 hubs are the same (mostly), and 8s chains
are downward compatible back to 5s. Yes, there are places where things can be swapped and made to
work without problems. There are also places where things don't work, and places where they work if
you have an adapter and/or know the secret mantra and handshake. (A 7s cassette on a freehub made
for 8 needs a 4.5mm spacer, for example.) It is not the case that random components can be freely
mismatched with uniform success. Aside from the 7/8 freehub change, there are rear der cage length
and max sprocket size capacity differences, front der length and curvature issues, and other things
to account for as well.