9 speed chain

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cy Galley, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Cy Galley

    Cy Galley Guest

    I discovered that I am running an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed Shimano cassette. It shifts very well.
    Outside of the weight am I doing any damage?

    --
    Cy Galley Editor, EAA Safety Programs [email protected] or [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. cy<< I discovered that I am running an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed Shimano cassette. It shifts very
    well. Outside of the weight am I doing any damage?

    Nope and what 'weight'???>

  3. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Then why does Shimano make 8-speed and 9-speed chains, if they're interchangable?

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > cy<< I discovered that I am running an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed Shimano cassette. It shifts very
    > well. Outside of the weight am I doing any damage?
    >
    > Nope and what 'weight'???>

  4. Cy Galley

    Cy Galley Guest

    A wider chain has to weigh more. According to my Shimano sources about 30 grams. Thanks for
    the answer.
    --
    Cy Galley - Bellanca Champion Club Newsletter Editor & EAA TC www.bellanca-championclub.com We
    support Aeroncas

    > cy<< I discovered that I am running an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed Shimano cassette. It shifts very
    > well. Outside of the weight am I doing any damage?
    >
    > Nope and what 'weight'???>

  5. Joe Dickman

    Joe Dickman Guest

    "Cy Galley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > A wider chain has to weigh more. According to my Shimano sources about 30 grams. Thanks for
    > the answer.
    > --
    > Cy Galley - Bellanca Champion Club Newsletter Editor & EAA TC www.bellanca-championclub.com We
    > support Aeroncas
    >
    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > cy<< I discovered that I am running an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed Shimano cassette. It shifts
    > > very well. Outside of the weight am I doing any damage?
    > >
    > > Nope and what 'weight'???>
    > >

    > > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Exactly *which* 8sp chain did you successfully use?

    Thanks and safe riding, Joe Dickman