9 speed chainsets, xt truvativ stylo, opinions?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Simon Choppin, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Hi everyone, Quick question (well a couple), I know that cassette width for 8 speed and nine speed
    is same but I know that all the new chainsets are 'mega 9' does this mean that they are incompatible
    for an eight speed system? I.e. if I want a new chainset I need a new cassette and rh shifter also?
    Also, XT chainset or the truvativ stylo. Both are very similar price and weight but truvativ has
    nickel plated rings and alloy bolts and loads of other stuff that sounds pretty ace. If anyone has
    any strong opinions about either chainset I would appreciate some feedback.

    Thanks.

    Simon C

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Simon Choppin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone, Quick question (well a couple), I know that cassette width for 8 speed and nine speed
    > is same but I know that all the new chainsets are 'mega 9' does this mean that they are
    > incompatible for an eight speed system? I.e. if I want a new chainset I
    need
    > a new cassette and rh shifter also?

    No. If you are getting new cranks/rings they will work with the rest of your 8 speed system.

    Shaun aRe